Chapter 25: Hyde, What Is This Behavior?

AHVI TAKEDA

Eman and I sat quietly in her room as I finished telling her about my past and my present. I had started crying again at some point when I told her that Jace was back with Kiara. I didn't know how I could be so affected by something that was never there and I felt stupid. So fucking stupid.

"I told you that this Kiara chick was up to something," Eman said. "I've been digging deeper into her life. I would have uncovered the truth by now but the wedding is keeping me busy." She sighed, her shoulders sagging.

I couldn't help but sense a strange emotion in her voice but before I could ask her about it, she pulled out her laptop from her nightstand. Beckoning me over to her, she switched it on. Whatever emotion I had glimpsed earlier was long gone.

"We can do a little more digging tonight, see what this biatch is up to." She patted the space next to her on the bed and I cracked a small smile. Her substitute for curse words were horrible but she wouldn't accept it.

"You don't have to, Eman. If Jace wants to be with her, then so be it. Moreover, you have a wedding to attend the day after tomorrow and it's your sister's. I think you should be worrying about that," I replied but took the seat she had offered me next to her.

The way we had fallen right back into being ourselves after my heavy confession brought me a confidence and relief that I desperately needed to keep going. Eman waved me off as she logged into her Facebook and Instagram in different tabs.

"I'm pretty over the wedding. I can't wait for my cousins to leave and have the house to myself again. And Nikhat will be gone, too. It will be me and my sweet, sweet peace. Just two more days." She mumbled almost wistfully.

I shook my head as a smile tugged on my lips. Eman was a social butterfly. She loved talking to people, loved making new friends, and being at social gatherings, so hearing her say that she was over the wedding gathering was something.

"She's been oddly inactive on her socials these days." Eman's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. I glanced at the screen to see that she was going through Kiara's Instagram.

"She's pregnant. What do you expect her to do? Go to a club and twerk her ass off?" I raised my eyebrows, earning a light shove from my best friend.

"No, bestie. I mean to say that she isn't even posting any status or stories. That's weird given how often she used to post before." Eman's eyebrows knitted together as she clicked on her last post. "And she has deleted all of her recent posts." She added.

"But why?" I frowned. I mean I knew that Kiara was not the most inactive person socially and sexually so why would she delete her posts?

"That is what we have to find out." Eman chewed on her bottom lip. I settled back against her headboard as I let her do whatever it was she needed to do. As I waited for her to tell me something, anything, I studied her side profile.

You know sometimes when you look at certain people, you are overcome with such happiness you just want to burst? Yes, Eman made me feel that way. I knew that even if I never found a romantic love in this life, I had found the truest love in this woman. She was everything I had ever wanted in a person. I hadn't been kidding when I had called her my soul sister earlier. Every imperfect and perfect part of us just...fits.

My phone rang, jolting me out of my thoughts. Eman seemed startled, too as I reached to pull it out of the pocket of my sweats.

"Ren?" Eman asked as I turned the device over in my hand to take a look at the screen. My heart banged against my ribcage as I saw who was calling.