Chap. 1; Adventures In Babysitting

"I made breakfast. Do you want some?" Lauren nudged her father awake on the couch. He shook his head in response, falling back into the unconscious dream land. "Dad, you got to get ready. Flo keeps radioing for you." He groaned, sitting up. Jim stood up and walked to the kitchen, grabbing one of the waffles from the toaster, and devoured it.

"Shit, dad, hungry?" Lauren asked, leaning against the couch.

"Yeah, somebody didn't make dinner like she offered to." He popped another waffle in the toaster for her after eating hers.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I completely forgot I was studying and wasn't hungry. I didn't even think about it. Besides, even if I did, you didn't get home till late, so it would have been cold. So, really, you wouldn't have wanted it -"

"Lauren, I was kidding.Jim interrupted her before she went on and talked about nothing for ten minutes. He walked to the couch and grabbed his pants. He tried hopping to get his second foot into the pants before falling onto the couch. "I taking you to school?" Jim asked, completely ignoring his fall.

"No, Barb and Nance are coming to me." Lauren pushed her body off the couch when she heard the honk of a car. "Perfect timing." She picked the backpack off the recliner. She hugged her dad from the side, picking the waffle out of the toaster. Right before heading out, she grabbed her coat off the hanger. "I'll see you tonight, and I'll have something cooked. Love you."

"Love you, kid," Jim yelled through the closing door. Lauren ran to the car, arms full of junk. She hopped in the back and was immediately bombarded with a question from Barbra.

"Lo, do you think it is absolutely nuts that Nance is considering hanging out with Steve Harrington?"

"What?" Lauren's eyes widened. "King Steve? Steve the hair Harrington? Steve Harrington, the upperclassman Steve Harrington? That Steve?"

"Yeah, what's so wrong with it?" Nancy threw her hands up and looked back and forth between her friends.

"Oh, maybe just that fact that he's a complete asshole who hangs out with complete assholes and well, you're not a complete asshole," Lauren yelled up to her.

"That was worded perfectly, Lauren," Barbara said sarcastically.

"Thanks," she said as she began to organize all of the junk she had grabbed before heading out.

"Lauren, I was not being for real." Lauren nodded with realization.

"Oh well. What I mean is you are awesome, you're nice, you're not like them." Lauren leaned forward so she was practically in the front seat with the other two.

"Nancy, he is no good. He probably just wants to sleep with you. I love you, but that's how he is. Has he had a girlfriend last longer than a month?" Barb asked.

"Well, I don't know, but It's not like we are dating. We are just friends. It's only been a few weeks?" Nancy pleaded with the two.

"Weeks?" Lauren said, pushing her body up to the front of the car. "Why am I just hearing about this?"

"I called you this weekend but you didn't answer and that's when I was going to tell you."

"I was with Walt all weekend. You knew. What do you mean you called me?"

"Okay, maybe that was a lie, but I was going to tell you... or let you find out from someone else, but you know you would have found out."

"Oh my god, you would have made me find out from someone else."

"Barb told you. She's someone else."

"She doesn't count. Why didn't you tell me? I want to know when my friends are having a little fun," Nancy gasped while Barbara giggled.