Chap. 11; Thank God It's Over

Lauren closed the door behind her, walking into the house of Billie Ringler, a girl from gym class who always had a huge New years party. Her house was abnormally big for Hawkins, and her parents away had a conference over the New Years. It was pretty the worst way to start off your year, absolutely trashed, but it's the hell of the way to end your shit year.

Nancy and Lauren walked in with interlocked fingers. Ready to forget every bit of that year, at least for at least the night. They both knew it was not the way to fix anything, but it was sure as hell going to make it better for a few hours.

"Nance, Lo. I'm so glad you made it." A random kid in their class said, coming in between them, putting his arms around them. He was obviously drunk off his ass. "Let's get some shots." He pulled them to the kitchen while they looked at each other questioning who it was. Nancy looked at her friend confused but feeling like what even Nancy had said earlier that day that the both need to loosen up.

They watched the pour three shots. "To 86' baby. When can we leave this shit show." He said, raising his shot. The girls looked at each other. Lauren's face told them to go for it. The two raised their glasses and said 86' before pounding back the strong tequila. "Damn. Let's do another one." He looked back and forth at the girls then poured yet another one. Handing one to each of them. Again they took another shot.

"Fuck yeah. You know this makes us like exclusively best friends right?" The guy said, wrapping his arms around them again.

"Who even are you?" Nance asked.

"The magic man." He said moon walking away. The girls couldn't help but laugh.

"I think that's the drunkest i've ever seen a human being in my goddamn life." Lauren smiled at Nancy getting one back. "Lets get that druck."

"Fuck yeah,"

"Fuck yeah," Lauren repeated, Nancy never said fuck so Lauren knew she was just as serious. "Bottle of tequila grab it." Nancy grabbed it pouring alcohol into the fake excuses for shot glasses. "To Barbara."

"Barbara." Nancy poured the foul tasting liquid down her throat. It was after this Nancy started feeling a little buzz on that was going to grow as it set in. Lauren grabbed the whole bottle as opposed to the shot glasses.

"Let's go sit." Lauren sat down at the padfed built-in seat of the kitchen. Nancy sat next to her with her head resting on her shoulder. "We're going to be okay."

"I know, It's so hard. It's so damn hard we can't even tell our best friend Lo. Isn't that killing you." It was killing Lauren. However, this is when Lauren realized how fast the alcohol kicked in on Nancy. She was more petite, so it was understandable. Lauren could tell because Nancy was less of a different stage drunk like Lauren and more of a truth telling, emotional drunk. "Like Lauren we can't tell Walt. We tell Walt everything and It's not like he shouldn't know."

"He was in love with her, and he just thinks she just left us."

"I know, Lo. Like God, I really thought they were going to get together and eventually maybe married. You'd be his best woman and I'm be the made of honor and we'd be happy. How are we supposed to be happy lying to one of our best friends?"

"I don't know. It's been so hard. I've cried every night even more than usual. I hate it. I hate it and I miss her so much, I miss us. When all we had to worry about was the next time we hangout was. Where we'd go to dinner after the football games."

"I miss it too. I miss her too. I love her so much. She's been there my whole life Lauren. I don't know what I'm going to do."

"I know. I'm so sorry, Nancy." Lauren's head leaned on Nancy's. "I love you. Even if I'm a bitch or not the world's greatest friend. I still love you." Nancy squeezed her hand. Nancy grabbed the bottle form Lauren taking a sip.