Chap. 34; Every Goddamn Person

Robin sat on the counter with Lauren's hand in her lap while she painted her nails. "So that's why I think Walt totally has the hots for you."

"I'm not interested in him, Linda, and besides, even if I was, doesn't he have a girlfriend?" Lauren shrugged.

"Yeah but she's a cunt none of us like her. So it would kill to bird with one stone. Get rid of her and bring you into the friend group." Lauren paused for a moment thinking. "Or you could come to sit with us at lunch." Lauren raised her eyebrows this not being the first time she had asked.

"I don't think Nancy likes me."

"Oh please, she doesn't even know you exist," Lauren said not trying to sound like the bitch she sounded to be.

"Wow, that makes me feel so much better."

"Shit you know I didn't mean it like that. I just mean she doesn't know you as opposed to what I've told her, so you already have a good foot forward." Robin pushed away her hand reaching for the other one.

"And you have told her?"

"That I have this total geek that I work with that I can't stand." Lauren started at Robin until they both looked over at Gavin. "And then I told her about my totally hot new friend, that is slightly a band geek, but Nancy is an honor-roll journalist so who's she to talk."

"Aren't you on the honor roll?" Lauren started blowing on her nail on one hand to get them to dry before Robin did the second coat.

"Yeah but I'm not in the stupid honor society. My GPA and I like to have a life." Robin laughed at her comment.

"Yeah, work?"

"I do things other than work."

"Like what?"

"Stuff." Robin gave her a look that said, ''really." "I read the books you recommended, get high listen to music, and spend time with my friends. What else am I supposed to do?" Robin shrugged not knowing the answer either. All she did was read, practice her trumpet, or teach herself some new skill. "See what is there to a teenager's life other than that?"

"Probably a whole lot more if we were in New York or something as opposed to Hawkings Indiana." Lauren swapped backhands blowing on the other one while she did the second coat.

"I mean yeah but New York is not all that great." Robin flickered up at the girl.

"You've been?"

"Lived there."

"Really? Tell me all about it." Lauren sighed and bit the inside of her cheek.

"Maybe It would be more fun now that wear teenagers." She said redirecting the question not trying to get into the depressing Sara stuff.

"What was it like thought?" Lauren sighed again.

"You're not very good at picking up queues are you." This time her whole head came up with a concerned look.

"No I'm not were you sending one I was supposed to pick up on because I didn't." Lauren nodded.

"Just wasn't the best time of my life so."

"Oh sorry I didn't mean to pry I just wanted to know all about it because that's something I really want to do to get out of Hawkins. Go to all these different places and make something for me you know. But it's not like I meant to make you think about a bad time, it's..."

"Roberta, Roberta, you're okay. It's fine," Lauren said realizing what it was like to be on the other side of one of her rants. Stop it before she told her anything and everything.