Chap. 22; Second Annual

The bright lights shined in Lauren's eyes. She hadn't been feeling any better since the last time she passed out. If anything, she was feeling worse and worse by the minute. The lights only made her feel more and more light-headed. Her eyes fluttered closed, and her legs grew weak until she couldn't hold herself up. She went unconscious, and her body collapsed again, drawing attention over to her. "Lauren."

The kids moved over to her just to get pushed out of the way by Steve. "Go get in the back seat." He picked Lauren up, holding the back of her knees and back, not trying to push very hard. He set her in the front seat before running to the other side, getting in the driver's seat. He pulled the car back onto the road, speeding to the hospital, completely ignoring her earlier protest.

"Steve, go to the hospital."

"Where the hell do you think I'm going, Max? Kings Island?"

"Well, go faster."

"I'm going thirty over. The last thing we need right is to get pulled over." He yelled back as one of his hands moved to her hand. He put two fingers on her wrist and the rest in her hand. Her pulse was weak but still there. He picked up the car's speed even more.

"Steve, hurry."

"I'm going as fast as I can, Dustin." Lauren regained concussions for a mere second. She glanced down at her hand, interlocked with Steve's for the third time that night.

"Where are you taking me?" She could barely get the words out.

"I'm taking you home." A faint smile stretched across her face.

"This isn't the way to my fucking house, Ste..." She said drifting back into her unconscious state.

"Lauren," Steve said trying to shake her up with one hand. "Lauren stay awake please." She didn't wake back up. He had to take a sharp turn he let go of her hand grabbing the wheel with both hands. When he took the turn he pulled into the ER bay he stopped the car running out and to the other side. The kids all spilled out of the car behind him he pushed the door open holding the girl.

"You can't park out there." A nurse said walking over to the girl.

"Does it look like we give a shit, she needs help."

"Let's get her on a bed." The nurse pushed a curtain showing a bed. Steve set her down on it immediately looking at the nurse. "What happened to her?" She looked up at everyone while listening to her heartbeat. "What happened?"

"Rabid Racoons,"

"Rusty Nails,"

"Really Big Cat,"

"The boggy man," the kids said at the same time, all on top of each other.

"What?"

"Bear." She listened moving to check her blood pressure. She looked up at them before walking over to the ER desk.

"Doctor Summerfield to the ER urgently." The nurses said over the speakers. She walked back over to the kids. The nurse hooked the girl up to an IV.

"She doesn't need that she needs blood."

"I don't need all of you in here. Go sit down." She waved them away but none of them moved. The doctor came into the ER.

"BP is eighty over fifty." The doctor rushed over to the girl covered in blood.

"She needs blood, what's her blood type?"

"I'm not sure, I'll get..."

"O negative." Steve interrupted.

"Get some stat, Griffin." The nurse ran to the door.

"It's her back," Max cut in.

"What's her back?"