Chap. 36; Seventeen Candles

"You didn't have to skip school." Lauren said in a way deeper voice than normal.

"It's Friday anyway, and you know Hopper isn't home." Steve hand moved to her face.

"A hundred and one. A hundred and one degree fever Harrington keep you distance." She pushed him away.

"I don't care."

"Well, if you get sick next week, then we're not doing anything then, too."

"You know that's a good point." He pushed her off of him scooting to the other end of the bed. "Keep your distance, Hop."

"I've only been trying..." Lauren felt the sudden urge to throw up. She turned to the trash can on the side of her bed. Steve leaned up quickly, grabbing her hair and pulling it a way from her face. She stared, throwing up the little food she still had in her. Lauren sat up, whipping her mouth. "I'm sorry. You can leave. I won't be mad."

"No It's fine, I want to be with you. I don't really care if you are throwing up." Lauren layed back on the bed next to him. She threw another mint in her mouth because she absolutely hated the smell of vomit on her breath. "Do you want me to get you anything to eat, so you not just throwing up stomach acid?"

"I'm fine, but you can grab something we had chicken for dinner last night." He didn't really think just got up and walked to the kitchen. Eleven was in the kitchen digging through the fridge.

"Hey, kid."

"Hey Steve." Eleven said, pulling a jug of milk put. Steve walked over to the fridge, grabbing the bucket of chicken. Not even having set it down, he picked up a chicken leg, taking a bite. "You not supposed to be here, Steve, right?"

"No, but It can be our little secret." He held up his finger over his lips. "Why don't you invite Wheeler over?"

"He's at school, Steve, where you are supposed to be."

"Again another secret." He held out the bucket, offering her a piece. She shook her head.

"How is Lauren feeling?"

"Like shit but she won't admit otherwise."

"Or if she does, she'll start crying."

"Precisely little Hop. It's almost like you live with her or something."

"Almost." She agreed. He ruffled her hair, walking back to her room. "Three inches." Eleven joked

"Yeah right, kid." Steve kicked the door closed behind him. He tried to get in bed before Lauren kicked him.

"No way you are getting fried chicken crumbs in my bed." He got in the bed against her protest. "I don't like you, Harrington."

"Then dump me." She rolled her eyes at him.

"I like you too much." Lauren went back to reading the book she had been reading before Steve showed up in the morning.

"You've watched that movie a million times. Why are you reading the book?"

"Because I like to read."

"I like to read." He said in defense.

"What was the last book you read?"

"Alice in Wonderland and Frankenstein." He smiled at her resiving one in return.

"I read those to you."

"Okay, maybe I like you reading to me instead of reading myself."

"I'm not reading to you right now. I normally sound like I smoke a few packs a day, and right now, I sound like I smoke thirty cartoons a day."