Chap. 5; Nancy the Slut Wheeler

Lauren woke up with the sound of the door crashing open her dad no longer on the couch. Lauren stood up abruptly and ran to the door. Jim was standing around with his gun raised in the air, looking around. She was relieved that he had woken up but worried what he was doing and what happened. It wasn't exactly a good thing for him to be running around with a gun for no apparent reason. "Dad, what's wrong?"

"Shhhh. Shut up. " Jim he said, hands flailing around. "If he hadn't had such a serious demeanor, Lauren probably would have started laughing at him. Jim pushed past Lauren in the doorway, going back inside the trailer. Jim grabbed an unopened envelope and a pen writing. "Do not say a word for a minute." She nodded but mouthed why. Jim shook his head, telling her that she would see only in time.

After this, she grabbed one of Laurens compacts using the mirror to look at his neck. "Dad, what is going on? Who were those guys last night?" Lauren whispered as quiet as she could. When Jim found out that she saw the men, he was immediately worried. He walked over to Lauren and grabbed her shoulders, holding her still. He moved her hair out of her face, looking at her neck. "Dad?" She whispered again.

"Those men? They didn't see you, did they?" Jim whispered frantically because of some how he got his daughter hurt in this whole thing he would never forgive himself. She was fine other than maybe a small panic attack.

"Who are they?" She could tell they went friends based on what was happening at this very moment.

"Did they see you?" He grabbed her shoulders again, needing an answer. Lauren shook her head, sending a wave of relief through his body. "Good. Good." Realisation set on his face, letting go of his daughter she went and began to unscrew light bulbs. "Hey. Hey, did you see them hid anything?" He wrote after running back to the pad of paper. Lauren shook her head so Jim continued looking and taking light bulbs out of the sockets.

It was obvious he was looking for something, so Lauren decided it would be easier if she helped. "What are you looking for?" She whispered.

"You'll know when you see it." The pair unscrewed every light bulb in the house. Jim even got the one in the microwave oven. Until one of the last ones in the living room that Lauren took off, pulling out a microphone. Turning around on the chair to show her dad, Jim grabbed it and pulled out the wire. He hugged Lauren from the side, a relieved smirk on his face. "Good eye, kid."

"Dad, what is that?" Jim shook his head. There was nothing about it Lauren should get involved with. If she had known, she would try to get involved, especially because it could have something to do with the Byers.

"Nothing, Lauren." She gave him a look that he had seen a million times one that read of tell me.

"You really going to try that? What is it?"

"It's a microphone, plain and simple."

"For?" Lauren's eyebrows were raised.

"Nothing that should concern you, Lauren." Again, she gave him the same look. "Lauren." The look didn't fade. "Lorett-" before he got done saying Lauren's full name, she cut him off, knowing he was serious, so her look faded, and she withdrew her army that was in search of the real answer.

"No need, I get it. You're serious, I'll be on my way." Her hands waved softly in the air. "I'm going to go get ready. You should, too."

Lauren made her way to her room and began to play whatever cassette was on her radio as she began to get ready to go to a funeral. A funeral she believed with the rest of her friends wasn't exactly legit. She sat at her desk doing her hair. Once she had done the last piece, she finished it off with some hairspray. Lauren added a touch of some light makeup she bought and never used. She slipped on a black dress and some short heels. Once she walked out of the room, she saw her dad sitting on the couch dressed in one of his nicer uniforms.