Chap. 38; American Kids

Lauren and Steve sat in the back yard of Steve's house while Steve swam, and Lauren read a romance book Steve had little to no interest in. "Hop?"

Lauren looked over her book to the boy standing in the water by the edge. "Steve?"

"You gonna get in?" Steve asked with a crinkle in his face to prevent going blind because of the bright sun.

"Well, I'm getting a little tan."

"How the hell are you going to tan. You have about a whole bottle of sunscreen on."

"You know you should probably put some on. You have to protect your skin."

"Okay, mom." Lauren shook her head. "Seems like very mom thing to say."

"I'm not being a mom. You should wear sunscreen all the time even in the winter."

"No, you dont."

"Umm, yes, you do. The sun is horrible." Lauren always had some sunscreen on. The sun was dangerous. It could even hurt the healthiest of people. It may have been a slight underlying need to prevent another unnecessary change. Or even death.

"You sun bathing makes no sense then."

"I'm wearing sunscreen, plenty of it. If I don't spend hours out here, I'll be fine."

"Will you get in with me?" Steve didn't really listen to her counterargument as he already had been told. "Just put the porn book down and cum?"

"I'm sorry, was that, cum or come?"

"Come find out," Steve said with a wink. Lauren grabbed a fallen leaf and used it as her bookmark before she jumped into the water. When Lauren resurfaced Steve splashed her with water immediately getting splashed back in return. "So you can't tell me the water doesn't feel great."

"No actually it's ice cold." It was cold. It felt good after the heat but it was still a cold chill washing over her.

"Your nipples are hard."

"Yeah, it's cold, dripshit." Lauren pushed up onto the edge of the pool, letting the water fall of her and get back in the warmth. "I lost my job." Lauren stated. She knew it was only a matter of time. There was bearly anymore people working there. So the little money they made was paid for bills and the few works that had been there longer than a year.

"What?"

"I got fired. Or terminated as Langdon said it. It's alright. I just need to get one."

"I think they're still hiring at Scoops."

"Not really interested in customer relations. It's not really my thing. It made me realize. I don't like the people I don't like if that makes sense." Steve looked slightly confused. "Like even if some did nothing to me I don't like them. And they can make me do stuff till it's to their satisfaction and I can not."

"Oh. Well I've known that for almost six years. Even if you don't inherently dislike them you don't like them. Case in point me."

"They there was reasons for that." Steve was shaking his head. Making Lauren physically hold it to make it nodded. "Yes there was."

"After a minute, not was not at first."

"I don't dislike you at first. You didn't like me."

"I did not." Lauren shook her head. "I think I know if I liked you or not."

"You were totally and one hundred percent an asshole. Why would you be an asshole if you didn't like me."

"Hop, I have told you this. I. Liked. You. I was jealous. You are the one the that didn't like me."