CHAPTER FOUR

BOUNDARIES

🔺 🔺 🔺

"Oh my prince, come and rescue me from this stupid tower that I can't climb off of on myself. I need your strong arms because I'm such a stupid, stupid girl for getting locked up here." Katelyn said as sarcastically as she could while Abbie was watching her with a look of amusement and amazement on her face. Her eyes were alternating from the TV, which was showing Rapunzel and to her, who was laughing every second of it as if it was a joke.

"You really don't care for fairy tales, do you?" She asked, grinning, as she handed her the tub of popcorn. They're currently at Abbie's apartment, which was near campus. The girl explained that she got the apartment just because it's near the school with an open library and huge running track and other sports facilities that's open to the public to use which is incredibly great for the community.

She noticed that she had been doing that a lot lately since they had coffee together, staying over and watching movies with Abbie in her apartment.

She scowled.

If it weren't for the stupid bet that they had, they would not have been watching Disney princess movies for the whole week. She had gotten past Beauty and the Beast with just the slightest of troubles. They were only on their second day of Disney princess movie watching and she was feeling more and more like she wanted to bash her head against the nearest wall.

"Why would you even ask me to watch this crap?" She said, rolling her eyes.

Abbie winced slightly at her swearing and she laughed, seeing as the girl still couldn't take it.

"Well, I just thought, maybe, you're a little wound up and bitter and maybe a little bit of Disney can help you soften a bit." She told her, shrugging. "You never aspired to become a princess?"

Kate laughed out loud suddenly, almost choking on her popcorn. Oh, if she only knew.

"Not really. I mean, it's kind of..." She wasn't able to finish because she just laughed out loud again. "I'm sorry. It just really seems ridiculous, especially since, well I'm writing a research paper about that. I'm doing a study of royal families of the 21st century."

"And what have you got so far?" Abbie asked, sounding really interested now.

"That they're pointless," Kate said straightforward with a shrug. "I mean, seriously, let's be honest here. The Sovereign no longer has a political or executive role in the nation. They don't really matter that much in our society now so I'm kinda, sorta wondering why they still exist. For show probably? For history? Yeah. Good answers but... I guess I'm not really comfortable with the idea of a monarchy."

She was quite radical and she believed that everyone should be equal to one another, however idealistic it may sound. She didn't like the idea that some people are considered higher up than others simply because they were "born that way", ergo, royal.

Abbie was silent, simply contemplating what she had said. Until finally, the credits rolled and she heaved a sigh of relief.

The stupid movie was finally over but then she has to face an hour and half of Cinderella tomorrow evening. She really shouldn't have agreed on that bet. Groaning, Kate got to her feet to get her things and prepare to go, but Abbie swiftly pulled her back down on the floor again.

She kissed her and she let her. It was the sort of arrangement they had going on in the last couple of days. Yes, there's no denying that she's kind of attracted to her but she had already promised herself that she would never "go down that road again". Abbie clearly said that she would take whatever she could give her and she was giving her just that. Just sex. Just something physical because that was all she could give. She told her that, and she seemed fine with it. After all, what lesbian, bisexual woman, wouldn't want a no-strings-attached sex any time she could get? And so they settled on that arrangement, and it had been going on for some time now. Unbeknownst to the only friend she had in campus, Bethany.

She was OK with it. After all, she was sure it wouldn't last anyway. Eventually, Abbie would grow tired of her and just go away and then she could go back to her boring life.

The way she saw it anyway, they both needed some kind of release. From the little things that Abbie told her, she seemed to be having some problems with family and it sounded like it had been going on since time immemorial. She couldn't decide whether the girl was just exaggerating or it was really the truth.

She was right about one thing though: the younger woman was RICH. She just didn't know how RICH. But she didn't care anyway. The poor has problems, the rich has problems. The world has problems. Anyone who says they don't have a single problem in the world could just fuck off or simply just jump on the cliff head first.

They were lying on her queen sized bed, quite spent from the particularly rough "tryst", to use an outdated word, that just occurred. After about a moment or two of silence, Kate got up and started gathering her clothes from the floor. She never spent the night. Never. It would go against the rules she had set up for their "physical interactions".

She put on her clothes rather quickly and was about to bid good night when Abbie suddenly asked.

"How come you never told me anything about yourself?"

"What do you want me to say? I already told you where I came from and why I'm here.And as far as I remember, I had told you I was boring from the very beginning yet you never listened." She said with a shrug of her shoulders. She gathered her backpack into her arms and slung it around her right shoulder.

"I told you about my family problems."

"Yes. And you honestly want me to reciprocate?" Kate responded sarcastically and disbelievingly at the same time. "I thought I told you no personal stuff? I didn't ask for your family troubles, whatever they are. You just kind of sprung them on me. And besides, I have no family troubles at all. I have a very happy and perfect family." She lied through her teeth. She know she's good at it.

"Okay, whatever you want. I'll see you tomorrow night then. Don't stay away too long."

"Yeah, yeah," Kate lazily and dismissively said before turning her back on her and walked to the door. But before she could even exit the room, Abbie called her.

"Kate."

"What?"

"I like you," Abbie suddenly blurted out without thinking.

Kate didn't say anything, rather took a deep breath and turned to look at her on the bed. She glared at her so sharply and if ever it's a knife or something, she probably had couple of stab wounds.

"What, I can't say it now? I thought you were the only one who shouldn't say it?" Abbie asked innocently, raising her eyebrows at her.

"I said, no personal shit." Kate said firmly.

"So, I can't like you then? Then tell me why am I fucking you in the first place?" The younger said rather irritably. She found out then that what she said was true. She does know how to swear.

"Because it's a normal biological process, feelings be damned. As a matter of fact, I think you don't like me. You just think you do." She said simply.

"So I can fuck you, but I can't like you?"

"I thought I made that clear before."

"What made you like this Kate? Because honestly, I don't quite understand why you're so hard and cold." She said, full-blown angry now. "You're such a bitter ice queen. What? Did someone fucked you and not return your feelings? Is that what it is? You said I'm so childish for believing in fairytales but you are too! For behaving like this."

"Fine. I am a child... if you think so, at least." She said simply and, without another word, she left her there, slamming the door shut behind her in her anger.

Fuck feelings. Katelyn thought.