CHAPTER SEVEN

VULNERABILITY

🔺 🔺 🔺

"WHAT THE FUCK!" Katelyn heard Abbie exclaim from the bedroom following a loud sound of something crashing.

Her eyes widened but not at the thought that the girl might be hurt, but actually at the fact that she just swore. She ran towards the open bedroom doorway and grinned at her while she was lying flat on the floor with tons of trivial things scattered about her, like paper balls, for instance.

"Did you just swore?" she asked amusingly, drying her hair with a towel, after having just finished her shower.

"And you're more interested in that? Yeah. I just swore." Abbie answered, now laughing in spite of the pain. She shrugged and helped her up from the floor, helping her to sit on the bed.

"Thanks... I slipped. Also, I read your guy, Stephen Pinker. Such a smart man."

"Haha. I knew you will like him." Kate said, laughing lightly. It was six o'clock in the morning and she had picked up another habit.

After realizing that she had been spending extra time with Abbie in her apartment and quite often—watching movies and things like, you know; hot stuff, she felt slightly uncomfortable but now, she doesn't even think about it. On the other hand, the other habit that she had picked up: staying over for the night.

Abbie got up from the bed and kissed her and she revelled in it for the tiniest moment before she came crashing back down to reality. The girl looked at her confusedly but then just let it go and said, "I'm going to make breakfast. What are you in the mood for?"

"Pancakes and strawberry jam?" She said, slightly disoriented as she walked back into the living room in her bathrobe. "I have to eat really, really fast though 'cause I have an exam in like, an hour and a half." She said, checking the wall clock above the TV set.

"All right Ma'am, some really fast pancakes and strawberry jam, coming up." Abbie said funkily and dearly as the same time and somehow, it kind of bothers her but not really. It was very confusing and yet, she can't seem to stay away. Usually she would cringe but now, it feels like a tickle in her stomach.

"You're really good at this cooking thing, you know? Are you a chef?" She ventured to guess.

Abbie had offered, over the past few days when they started the game, to give Kate the exact name of her profession but she chose to figure it out by herself instead. That was why she had been asking her all sorts of questions over the past few days.

"No. I've just been living alone for quite a while now and you really to learn a lot of stuff when you do that." She explained as he began working her magic in the kitchen.

"Hmmm... you don't go home, ever?" She asked, turning the TV on and start channel surfing.

"I do. To visit my brother because I like talking to him. Sometimes, I feel like he's older than me which makes me think a lot actually, that I'm a horrible big sister." Abbie, laughing at herself for a bit.

"Your brother's younger than you?"

"Yes. Why? Do you want to meet him and see if he'd be more perfect for you or something? He's younger than me but more mature so that won't be a big deal with the age gap thing."