CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

PERCEPTION OF TIME

🔺🔺🔺

"Bye bitch!"

Beth and Harrold practically said at the same time. Kate was standing in front of the boarding gates with her carry-on bag, grinning and waving at her friends. They both came, mindless of the hangover, to see her off and she appreciated it.

She gave them both a hug and they pretended to be disgusted, but laughed at the same time. She was really going to miss them. Hell! She hasn't go yet she already missed them.

And then she saw HER. Just behind Harrold and Bethany.

Her eyes were still red and sore from the crying she didn't want to do, so she had no idea if she was seeing things properly.

It was only after she saw the other people roaming around the airport stopping in their tracks and taking a second look at the very person she was looking at, that she was convinced that what she was seeing was the truth.

She could hear the light buzzing, the occasional whispers—maybe not too occasional—of: "It's the Crown Princess!"
This time, Beth and Harrold turned around too and saw Abbie standing by, a few feet away from them.

Then, slowly, she walked up to them.

Kate dropped her eyes and saw Patrick sitting by one of the benches, completely unnoticed by everyone. He wiggled her eyebrows at her and smiled.

She immediately felt like she was on spotlight. Everyone was looking at them as though waiting for some sort of juicy gossip to just erupt out of nowhere.

Was Harrold actually right? Was she actually in a k-drama and she just didn't realize it?

"Can I talk to you?"

Kate nodded as Abbie asked her and they walked far enough away from her friends so they wouldn't hear. Then she faced her, waiting for what the girl had to say. But there was no changing her mind now. She was really eager to leave the Isle of Britton.

In the bottom of her heart, she knew she had done right by refusing Abigail. She wasn't exactly princess material and she wasn't pauper material either. They couldn't really be together.

"Well, I want to give you something." Abbie said rather awkwardly as she pulled out the familiar blue velvet box from her pocket.

She almost groaned, hating that she had to refuse her again. And she was about to say something before the girl put her forefinger to her lips to keep her quiet.

"Listen to me first, will you?"

She just nodded and she dropped her finger.

"You said last night that you wanted your memories with me... Just the memories because they're happy, right?" She asked her with a wide and bright smile. She was glad to see her so positive at the moment. It was the most beautiful thing she had seen all day.

"Then I'm giving this to you." Abbie said, putting the small velvet box in her hands. "That is everything we've ever been together. All the memories I have of you and all the memories you have of me. I just hope this make you happy... because, apparently, I couldn't do that." She added with a slight chuckle.

But she immediately felt the need to corrected her.

"No. That's unfair. You made me happy, you too should be happy—"

"Trust me. You made me the happiest girl in the world too, Babe. So, please, as a thank you and because I want you to keep our memories together, I want you to keep that. Is that okay?" She asked even if she didn't need to, then putting her hands on her shoulders and looking straight into her eyes.

Kate just nodded with the heavy tears threatening to fall off her eyes. She didn't want to cry now. She should be smiling, right?

"I love you so much Katelyn." Abbie said seriously, still keeping her eyes locked with hers. "And I'm going to love you for the rest of my life. I have no plan of forget you. I will never forget us. I am going to be waiting for you forever. I just wanted you to know that."

"I hope you know that I love you too Abigail. And I already told you..." She trailed off.

She loved her so much that she was willing to let her go. She just hoped Abbie would realize that.

The girl nodded and kissed her before the eyes of the hundreds of people in the airport and the unstoppable flashes and shutter sounds of cameras around them. Her eyes widened for a moment, suddenly very embarrassed and afraid. But then she just gave in, for her one last moment of fairytale before returning to the real world.

Afterwards, they parted and they just smiled at one another, as though old friends parting for the first time in their lives. It's bittersweet. Because they knew the reunion was going to be the sweetest damned reunion in the whole wide world if ever that happens. But maybe not.

Patrick came up to her moments later and they fist bumped like they used to.

"This sucks, you know? I would really have loved it if you had become my sister."

"I would have really loved for you to be my brother too, Your Highness." Kate told Patrick honestly but with their playful teasing with a wide smile on her face.

Flight QX5280, now boarding... Flight QX5280, now boarding...

Kate listened for a while to the repetitive sound of the electronic girl calling for the passengers to board. It's time to waved goodbye to her friends and she watched them with tearful eyes as they waved back at her, then she gave one last passionate kiss to Abbie before she hugged Patrick and walk off towards the boarding area without trying to look back. Her heart cannot even afford to look back at them.

She was never going to forget.

She clutched the box with the ring closer to her heart. Abbie wanted her to keep their memories and she was glad. In that particular journey of her life, she gained an incredible experience that would rival no other. No matter where she goes, no matter what life will give her new one. What they had will always be the best thing she has for the rest of her life because she gained an understanding of love at the core of it. She gained friends that were worth everything in the world. She gained a lot... and lost a lot too. Maybe it was an equivalent trade.? But that was life. It had a way of balancing itself.

It was a learning experience like no other. But most importantly, she was definitely going to hold on to those happy memories with Abbie. And when the time comes that she feel like she was losing her way again, like the bomb in her head was going to explode for some unfathomable reason, she would reach for those memories and let it steer her on the right path again... like it did the first time.

Abbie is going to be her anchor to reality. And finally, with her help although she doesn't realize it, she was finally going to be able to control that which has not disappeared and will never disappear completely.

Suddenly, her stomach hurt... but for the first time, she was aware of it, and the pain didn't bother her so much.

Two broken things would never make anything whole. That was why they could never be together. But, they did teach each other how to control the brokenness.

Win some. Lose some.

That's the way of Life.