CHAPTER NINE

COMPLICATIONS AND SECRETS

🔺 🔺 🔺

Abbie was pacing back and forth in the library of the Great Manor again and, just like before, Patrick was reading a book. It was a different book this time. Her brother was an extreme literature enthusiast that she had practically read about half of the thousands of books lining the whole library. She had often thought that Patrick had made it his life's goal to finish everything there until the end of his days.

"So you made the ice-queen cave? I congratulate you, sis. That was a fine job." He told her in a sort of mocking tone, but she knew her brother was genuinely glad for her all the same, so she decided to just let the mocking slide. "However, you do have another problem. You haven't forgotten have you?"

Yes. There was that too. Kate told her her secret and so she realized it was only fair if she told Kate hers too.

Abbie nodded helplessly, taking a seat next to Patrick. It wouldn't be fair to Kate to find out from some other source. She would rather she find out from her.

"I have to go away again. Father is becoming increasingly demanding." She said in an effort to steer the conversation away from Katelyn.

However, Patrick found a way to steer it right back. "That's because you're five years away to thirty... and, I'm using their words here, you 'don't even have a prospective consort yet'. Well, unless of course you count on your girl, Katelyn."

She sighed heavily. She really hated his father. If it weren't for the various obligations that were expected of her as the Crowned Princess of the Kingdom of the Isle of Britton and the fact that they were flesh and blood, she might have left long ago.

"And are you kidding about Kate? She can't even stand hearing me say I love her, let alone ask her to marry me." She had to admit to herself though, four months is a little too short to ask someone to get married. They didn't even reach the girlfriends level in Kate's understanding.

"And not to mention she's—"

A commoner.

"I know, I know." She didn't want to hear it. She knew her brother meant well in reminding her of the limitations of her and Kate's relationship constantly but she was tired of hearing it. She was still trying to find a way out of it but so far, nothing has come to mind.

She knew she had gotten herself in an epic clusterfuck of a situation and she already knew it even before she asked her if the seat beside her was taken that fateful morning, and yet she still asked her anyway.

In fact, Kate had given her plenty of opportunities to run away but she chose to stay even though she knew it would just further complicate her already complicated life.

Abbie let out a frustrated groan and her brother looked up once again from the book her was reading.

"Do you remember what I told you when you first told me about her?" He asked, suddenly turning serious.

Of course she did. She remembered Patrick saying that she should stay away. His reasons were entirely different from Katelyn's though. However, their sentiments were the same.

"But I couldn't. She's... she's different."

"Do you realize how clichéd you're sounding right now? But, don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing her. She sounds really different especially from the way you talk about her. Anyway, speaking of which, do you really think she has absolutely no idea about you? I mean, that you are the Crowned Princess of this little country?"

Abbie shook her head. Of that, she was sure of.

"She's not interested in those kinds of things. She's still trying to figure out what I do though he wouldn't let me tell her."

"Hmmm. I see she is very exceptional, all right." Patrick agreed with a smile now. "I think I like her already. Marry her, Abigail." The prince said in a half joking, half serious tone.

"How I wish that easy."