CHAPTER SIX

SHATTERED BOUNDARIES

🔺 🔺 🔺

Katelyn was reading about royal families. Of UK, Spain, Sweden, Denmark and lot more. Apparently, most monarchs date back up to thousands of years ago, as if she didn't already know that. She agreed that they were really important back in the old and golden days but now that democracy is practically the norm, there's really no place for them if the world is being honest. Keeping them for historical purposes was quite a lame excuse in her opinion but that was just her.

She knew that one measly paper arguing against the continual existence of royal families in the world would not change anything. Sighing, she closed her laptop and decided to just check it out of the library, do it old school so she could review it more carefully from the dusty books there.

But she suddenly realized, she needed to study for her other subjects. After all, she wasn't only working on a thesis. She was actually taking classes. She prowled more bookshelves, looking for appropriate titles that would somehow give her some magic insight into philosophy and Plato and history. Did she ever say she wanted to do it old school? Now she couldn't stop cursing because obviously, everything's on the internet. The smell of old books was making her head spin.

In the midst of searching for Plato in the dusty bookshelves of the university's main library, she suddenly felt phantom lips on her cheek. When she turned around so abruptly, she thought she was going to break her neck. But upon closer inspection though, the lips belonged to someone so familiar.

Abigail.

"I thought we were going to meet up at your place tonight?" She said, wiping the spot on her cheek where she kissed her and still trying to make sense of what just happened. She looked at her quizzically. Was something wrong?

"Yeah, I know. I was just around. I was going to borrow a book and, well, you're here so I thought I'd say hi," Abbie said with a light shrug of her shoulders. And there goes her bright smile again.

Kate laughed.

"Honestly, don't you have a job or something that you need to do?" She joked. She often sees the woman around campus, usually very early in the morning, that it was still a mystery to her how she functions or how she pays her bills. Doesn't she go to work at all? But then, as far as she knows, as a local of Britton, she sure has a lot of benefits from their good gracious country. This little island is indeed impressive if she's being honest.

"I do. But it's not really important what time I get there," Abbie said with another light shrug.

It had been a month since their fight in her apartment. Abbie had apologized to her and had promised never to bring up that subject again. The I like you matter. She agreed and forgave the woman, so now they were back to their original arrangement... and the Disney princess movies. Abbie knew she hated those so they never made a bet about those things again.

All in all, she was pretty much in a good mood towards her for the better part of their arrangement. Abbie was sticking to what they had agreed upon and she was glad for it.

"What are you, some kind of young company president or something?" She asked as a joke but then she realized that it might not necessarily be a joke at all. "Oh, wait, don't answer that. You might be."

"Why is that you're never interested in learning what I do? Don't tell me it's too personal because it really isn't. Lots of people ask other people what they do. In fact, when you introduce yourself, it's kind of automatic that that is the next thing you say about yourself," she said calmly as she followed her along the line of the bookshelf she was currently traversing.