CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CULTURE LOSS

🔺 🔺 🔺

"Mom." She heard herself mumble and when she opened her eyes slowly and expected to see her mother, she didn't even see her old room.

It took her a few moments before she remembered what happened and where she is. Then, she put her hand on her forehead and swallowed a little bit to feel her throat. She was still, after everything that had happened, rather sick.

"Abbie." She murmured as she turned to her side but there was no one there.

Surprising herself again for about the hundredth time, she could not explain why she suddenly felt really sad. The only possible explanation that she could come up with was that her fears had been confirmed. She had, actually, gone soft.

"Abbie." She muttered again, afraid to admit to herself that she was actually hoping against hope that the girl would just appear out of nowhere. It was like she suddenly lost the ability to resist her.

It was pathetic and she knew it, but once again, and she was getting kind of tired of saying it, she could not help herself. What was wrong with her?

"Abigail." She said a little louder this time and she suddenly felt arms wrapping around her and a voice saying, "I'm right here".

She probably didn't notice when the girl entered the room, too wrapped up in her own head and her self-pity to care. She heard her chuckling and she wanted to smack her, but she was actually too glad that she was around to make an effort not to hate her.

"I told you I'm whiny when I'm sick." She opened up as an explanation for what she thought was rather embarrassing behavior.

"And I think I don't mind." the girl answered, kissing her forehead and pulling her up into a sitting position.

She leaned against the headboard, looking around the room. That was the only time she noticed Patrick, standing by the doorway and leaning against the threshold, smiling like there was no tomorrow.

"I'm sorry I left. Just because some idiot walked by." Abbie explained, motioning with her head towards her brother.

"I told you she would appreciate it more if you told her what you told me yourself." The prince said with a knowing smile. "How are you feeling anyway?" He added, a little more concern and serious now.

"I'm feeling better. Thank you," she said gratefully, but infinitely embarrassed.

She still wasn't sure what to make of Patrick. The prince seemed pretty friendly to her but they weren't exactly the best of friends yet. Hopefully, she'd get to know him more in the future. That was, if there will be any future for all of them.

"All right then, I'll leave you two alone." She said, nodding towards her politely. "Don't worry about that thing, sis. I'll take care of it." And then she disappeared, closing the bedroom door before he left.

She was very much interested in asking what the thing Patrick was saying, but later felt that it was probably a private thing between the royal siblings.

"Are you really feeling better?"

Kate nodded her head.