CHAPTER FIVE

SECRET SURROUNDING BOUNDARIES

🔺 🔺 🔺

Abbie told Kate a lot of things. Sometimes though she didn't want to hear them.

She told her about how much her father's family hated her mother. She said her father only married her out of convenience, because her mother had a lot of money too, like their family. It made her mother bitter and angry but she said she was still sweet and caring towards her and her younger brother.

And then her Mom died when she was just fifteen. She had cancer and she clearly had a lot of hate for her father's family and even for him, possibly. At least that was what Kate gathered from all the stories Abbie told her.

In spite of the younger's trust in her to actually share those things, she never said a single word about her life. It was only right, she thought. She didn't want things to be too personal between them. It was already personal as it is, what with her sharing a lot of things.

Abbie probably thought she was the only one who could understand her, given that she could probably sense that she had problems of her own. However, she knew she was wrong about one thing: she wasn't the only person who could understand.

There were literally hordes of people out there that would not hesitate to give other people advice because, with the number of people in the world, it was impossible that only one person could be suffering that single problem. That is the very reason why there are therapy groups, right?

That was why Abbie should never tell her anything and just keep everything physical. She was not good at giving advice. Not at all. She failed to give herself advice before, and that resulted in her almost destroying her life. In fact, not almost.

She actually destroyed her life.

After all, she killed someone.

***

Abbie prowled around the room, looking for answers to questions she never even ventured to ask. Or perhaps, more appropriately, answers to questions she did venture to ask, but Katelyn was afraid to answer forthrightly.

What was her secret? What made her into such a person? What made her so angry and bitter towards the whole world and every people in it?

The way she saw it, it was just another case of adult angst. Possibly, she was scorned by some guy or girl she fell in love with or something. It seemed such a trivial thing for that much amount of hate bubbling up in her. She thought she could ease her out of it, but she thought wrong.

"Abigail, for the hundred times, would you please calm down? You're making my head spin," her brother Patrick told him, looking up from the book he was holding. The guy looked annoyed for some reason but that was probably from all the pacing she was doing. She was already disturbing her brother and she didn't need to make him annoyed too.

However, at the rate she was going, it was what was to be expected... especially after what happened these past weeks. She looked at her brother hopelessly for a second or two before sitting comfortably on one of the grand armchairs near the bookshelves.

She was kind of envious of her. He was the brother who could do whatever he wanted, being the younger one. He was younger than her by two years, but she has never really felt the age difference between them.