Ch. 39

The wait to know what exactly was wrong was pure agony for the throuple. Though Vic didn't take long, those few minutes felt like hours. After three to five minutes she came back with a face that definitely didn't look happy.

"What's wrong?"

"Your daughter has what is known as Retinitis Pigmentosa. It's a genetic disorder that makes the cells in the retina break down, causing blindness until fully blind. Usually, doctors and families won't catch it till a little later. What I'm telling you is that eventually, your daughter will become permanently blind." The sudden news shocked the throuple, who wouldn't be? To know that your own child will eventually go completely blind? It's not news that parents want to hear.

"When?" Alex asked as his own eyes started to blur from the water that filled them.

"There are known human treatments that can help and slow progression but, it's rare for wolves in general to be born with anything more than a displaced shoulder. As you know human treatments don't work on us, our bodies burn through them too quickly."

"What if you multiply dosages and treatments?"

"I can try, but know she will never have full vision."

"How did you know?" Alex cried not able to hold his tears anymore.

"Her smell. All wolf pups have a certain smell when they're born. She had a different smell."

"Where is she?"

"Chris is still checking her out for anything else."

"When will she go completely blind?" Andrew asked her as he held Alex.

"I don't know. Given that she is a werewolf I don't know how fast it will progress and if we do treatments I don't know if they'll even work."

"Will she be blind before she is eighteen?" Andrew asked lowly, afraid that their daughter who they have not even named, seen, or even held. The daughter who is supposed to be the future Alpha, will be blind before taking on her role. If so, she will never be Alpha and the elders will more than likely have a say in too what her future entails.

"I- There is a big possibility."

"I want to see her!" Alex yelled as he cried more, he felt responsible. That it was his karma for having to abort his first child to trick Brandon into thinking that he was dead. Alex only felt guilt, and he was responsible for his own daughters' condition.

"I will go get her." Vic then stepped out of the room to return a moment later with a baby wrapped in a light purple blanket.

"Hi, princess!" Alex spoke softly as he sat up to hold her.

"Here Alpha, Luna let me clean you up first so you don't feel gross," Vic said as she handed the child to Ryan.

"Okay," He squeaked as he tried not to cry even more, trying not to scare the newborn.

"Okay Luna, lay back down for me." It didn't take long for Vic to fully clean Alex, and soon enough he was able to hold his baby girl.

"You said this is genetic?" Ryan asked Vic on the side as they watched Alex and Andrew fond over the baby.

"Yes, depending on the exact gene either both parents would have to have the gene or the father is the one to pass it. But even if both have the gene there's only a 25% chance that a human child will have it. I still don't understand how this is possible. Are any of your ancestors human?" Asked the group.

"Like full-blooded?" Andrew asked.

"Yes. It would make the most sense. And if so, that means somewhere in your bloodline one of your ancestors had a human mate or at least intercourse."

"Not that we know of," Ryan answered for Andrew and himself.

"I- I have a great-great-grandmother who disappeared for a few months. She was supposed to be mated to the Alpha's son, but she ran. So, the Alpha chose someone else, but when she came back she came back with an Omega wolf."

"A loner?" Andrew asked Alex.

"What's an omega?" Vic asked not knowing that term.

"An omega is a wolf who is usually abandoned and has no pack but isn't rouge. If she had him turned even after they had sex their child would still be half, right?" Ryan asked after he explained the term.

"Yeah, their child would've been conceived when he was human. Did they have any more children?"

"No. Just one as far as I know, then he had my grandma and another child, but he died when the war started in 38'. He was a soldier in training, he died before he was even mated to anyone. My grandma only had my dad."

"How old was your grandmother's brother when he died? Do you know?"

"I think seventeen. My dad said he was looking for a mate when he died."

"And you two don't know of any human family members?"

"Our parents don't really talk about their families. But none of this makes sense. Even if we had a human family member would the gene even be strong enough to affect us now? And why now? Why hasn't anyone else had a child with this condition? How can this just happen?" Ryan cried as he thought more and more about his daughter's condition.

"I can run some tests to see what exact gene and form of the condition it is that she has. That can tell us more about why she has this condition, but it won't change her future. Anyways I should leave you all to enjoy her. Is there a name that I could put down?"

Alex looked at his daughter who had fallen asleep while the group was talking, and as he looked down at the baby a name came to his head, and he knew what his daughter's name was going to be. "Andry (An-dree) Her name is Andry, Andry Cruz."

"That's beautiful, and do you want to spell that with an I or Y?"

"A y," Vic nodded and left the room.

"Why Andry?" Andrew asked as he sat next to his mate on their bed.

"It's a combination of the loves of my life, and now; so is she." Alex whispered as tears started to fill his eyes once more.

"We won't let nothing happen to her," Ryan said as he sat on the other side of his mate.

"We already hurt her."

"There was no way for us to know. It's not our fault that people lie. and we will love her no matter what her vision is." Ryan spoke trying to comfort Alex.

"It's not us I'm worried about. Once it gets out that she is to be blind, the elders will not let her be alpha. It's her birthright and I don't want our daughter to grow up thinking she is less than just because she's different."

"She will be alpha. We'll make sure of it."

"People won't be happy, they'll always question her. They'll question if she is really meant to be Alpha."

"No, they'll grow to love her just for who she is and see she is meant to be the next Alpha of the Dark Moon Pack."

"He's right, we'll find people who can help her and us raise her right and hopefully see if we aren't the only ones this has happened to." Andrew agreed, comforting Alex in multiple ways.

"You're both right, we can do this, we won't let her down."

--TBC-- 

--1204 Words--

A/N: Two in one day!!