Chapter 8

Chapter 8
Ran Yuwei's house is mortgaged, she bought it early, and she lives alone in a 100-square-meter house.
The home is decorated in a very stylish way, but there is no fireworks.  She doesn't cook and eats in the canteen of her unit.  Song Ran came, and the two of them either went to the restaurant or ordered takeaway.
Song Ran used to cook.
During the summer vacation of the second year of junior high school, Ran Yuwei and her diplomat boyfriend at the time got off work late, Song Ran bought vegetables and cooked them herself, and waited obediently and proudly for her mother to come home.
After Ran Yuwei returned home, she saw a table of dishes and didn't say anything for a long time. Then she called Song Zhicheng and yelled at him.  Asked how Yang Huilun abused her daughter, and why Ran Ran could cook at a young age.
Yang Huilun was actually very kind to Song Ran, too good to be true.
The people living in the Tongzilou are all colleagues from Song Zhicheng's work unit and intellectuals, and any big disturbance in one's house can't escape the eyes and ears of other houses.  Yang Huilun had never read any books and felt timid, and she was afraid that outsiders would say that her stepmother was vicious and treated Song Ran exceptionally well, as if she were a guest.  Song Ran always took the initiative to do things to make her stepmother happy, or to prove that she was not a guest.  This subtle psychology also quietly brought to the Imperial City.  At the diplomat's house, she had to prove that she was not a troublesome guest who came to eat and live.  It's just that when she came back next year, her mother's boyfriend disappeared.
Over the years, Ran Yuwei has talked about several relationships, but none of them ended well.  So far alone.
The two ordered takeaway Japanese food.  Song Ran found several bottles of good grapefruit wine in the refrigerator, so he drank it with ice cubes.
Ran Yuwei poured red wine for herself, and asked, "You've been running all over the city these days, what are you busy with?"
"Look up some historical materials. It's too hard to find those from Dongguo." In fact, she contacted Luo Junfeng, a well-known bestseller curator, but she didn't want her mother to know, "They were all running to the library, and I couldn't find them in Liangcheng before."
Ran Yuwei returned to the topic in the car in good time: "The resources of the Imperial City are really incomparable to Liangcheng. If you want to develop well, you have to come here."
Song Ran is still in conflict. I don't know if it is against the imperial city or against Ran Yuwei.  Perhaps in her eyes, the Imperial City is equal to Ran Yuwei.  She said: "I don't have any big pursuits, and it's fine now."
"I think you and your father are as virtuous as you are."
"I'm his daughter, so of course I have the same virtue as him."
Ran Yu slightly raised her eyes to look at her. The woman in her forties had crow's feet wrinkles that couldn't be concealed by makeup. She said coldly, "You are his daughter, so you are not my daughter?"
Song Ran couldn't take it anymore, and said in a low voice, "Can you not be like a child?"
Ran Yu smiled slightly: "The wings are stiff."
Song Ran had nothing to say.
At the beginning, Ran Yuwei and Song Zhicheng were fighting for custody, but Song Zhicheng dragged on and refused to divorce.  Ran Yuwei's disgusting cheating husband was so disgusting that he just wanted to divorce and go north as soon as possible, giving up property division and Song Ran.  At that time, little Song Ran was only two or three years old, holding on to the base of the wall, crying and crying for his mother while running.
Ran Yuwei said word by word, "It was Song Zhicheng who betrayed that family."
This was the greatest pain and failure in her life.
At the beginning, she disregarded her parents' objection to marrying Song Zhicheng who had nothing but talent. She had only been married for more than three years, and disregarded her parents' objection to leave Liangcheng resolutely and go to the Imperial City alone to work hard.
Blame her for being too proud, unable to bear the failure of a marriage that trampled on her self-esteem.  He still refuses to return to Liangcheng.  The relationship with his parents also deteriorated to the extreme, until the two elders died one after another.
And although Song Ran knew her father was a betrayer since she was a child, she lived with her father for a long time, a father who never treated her badly and truly loved her, she couldn't hate him like her mother.
Ran Yuwei refilled half a glass of red wine and asked, "You can stay where you want. Is Song Zhicheng ready?"
When will I buy you a house?  "
Song Ran remained silent, not understanding why every word of her mother hurt her.
"Your uncle's grandmother's house belongs to you. Ran Chi is still studying, so you can live there for a year or two. When he grows up and wants to start a family, you have to vacate it."
Song Ran said: "Isn't there still a few years left? I will buy a house in a few years."
"With your four or five thousand salary, can you afford it?"
"Can't afford rent. Can I still sleep on the street?" She simply brought out all the rebellious energy she had never used in her life.
"Okay." Ran Yuwei said, "Promising."
For the remaining few days in the Imperial City, Ran Yuwei didn't mention this matter again.
During this period, Song Ran met Luo Junfeng once.  Luo Junfeng is a well-known book planner in the industry. He has created dozens of best-selling books, ranging from humanities to anecdotal novels, from spiritual journeys to historical miscellaneous talks. They cover a wide range of topics and are of good quality, all of which are top-notch in China.
He is an elegant and calm man in his thirties, wearing a white shirt and black-rimmed glasses. There is a hint of culture in his elite temperament:
"I've watched every episode of "East War Before the War". This story is worth writing. Although documentaries have their objective presentation methods, in my opinion, the author's subjective spiritual feelings are also very precious."
Song Ran agreed very much.  She omitted too many personal feelings when doing the show, which is exactly what she wanted to write.
"However, the title of "Eastern Kingdom Before the War" is too difficult."
"I wanted to call it "Dongguo Floating Century", but it was changed by the leader."
"I like your name." Luo Junfeng said, "there is a shortage of books on war records in the market, and it is easy to operate well. The war reporter, or a female reporter, is very attractive. But, aside from these things,  The essence is still to return to the content of the work itself.”
Song Ran nodded lightly: "Okay."
"Will you go to Dongguo again?"
"Look at the unit arrangement, what's the matter?"
"From the perspective of writing a book, without the second half, the story seems to be unfinished. Do you understand what I mean?"
Song Ran didn't tell her mother about meeting Luo Junfeng.  She looks forward to writing a good book, but is afraid that her ability is not worthy.  It's better to keep things secret until things are decided.
The mother and daughter can coexist peacefully when they are not discussing business.  However, due to the nature of Ran Yuwei's work, she is generally a preaching and disciplined mother.  Once you are free to get along with Song Ran, you will have to chat about every detail of her work and social future plans.  It's okay to just talk, but she has too many opinions and different views, and she has a strong desire to control.  The two often quarreled and broke up.
Four days later, Song Ran returned to Liangcheng.  Ran Yuwei sent her to the airport and sent her to the departure floor. She didn't get out of the car, waved her goodbye and left.
Song Ran couldn't help sighing as she watched her white car disappear on the road.
Back in Liangcheng, the rain stopped long ago.
The torrential rain last week seemed to have finally drained the water from the sky.  The sky is so blue that there is no cloud, only the scorching sun.
As soon as I got out of the airport, the air was hot and humid, like walking on a windless beach at noon.
This is Liangcheng where she has lived for almost 23 years.  Always leave, but always come back.
It was dusk when Song Ran returned to Green Lane by car.
In the alley, the sky is full of sunshine and the fragrance of honeysuckle is exuding.  At the door of the house, the floor next door was being dug, and she leaned over curiously and asked, "Grandma Wang, is your house made of a moisture-proof layer?"
"Yes. There won't be any more rain in the future. Do it as soon as possible."
Song Ran glanced at the construction team working in the house, and asked in a low voice, "Are they doing well?"
"It's pretty good. Grandma Zhang and Grandma Xu's house were built by them. The price is fair and they are very conscientious."
Song Ran said: "My family wants to do it too. I haven't been able to find the construction team."
Grandma Wang heard the words, and immediately helped her make arrangements.
Lao Li, the captain of the construction team, is about fifty years old and has a kind face.  Lao Li used to work as a construction quality inspection engineer in Jiangcheng Branch of China X Construction Engineering Group. He retired early and formed a construction team to pick up jobs if he couldn't spare.  Song Ran, who has been engaged in engineering all his life, is naturally relieved, and soon makes an appointment with him to come to construction on weekends.
The next day was a working day. The sun had already risen at eight o'clock in the morning, and the leaves in the yard were shining with oil.
Before going out, Song Ran took Li Zan's big black umbrella.  She likes the umbrella very much, it is simple, the umbrella is big and thick, and it feels very solid in the hand.
The day's work was finally finished. After work, she took the bus to the security area with an umbrella in her arms.
At the beginning of July, the vegetation on Luoyu Mountain was lush, covering the sky with large expanses, it was barbaric and crazy.  The leaves are green and heavy, as if they are satisfied after eating the sun and rain.
Song Ran was in a good mood looking at the green mountains.
After getting off the bus, crossing the road and entering the security area, there was no one there.  Only the setting sun hung on the low building outside the playground, exuding the last trace of residual heat.
When Song Ran walked to the open space, most of the cars drove away. A military vehicle was parked next to her car. It was majestic and majestic, making her little Alto look very petite.  She glanced at the license plate of the military vehicle, it was the one Li Zan drove last time.  The door was closed and no one was inside.
She walked over slowly, looking around while walking, but it was quiet and there was no one around.
She walked into the shadow of a tree and stood there for a while, stroking the handle of the umbrella, and finally put the umbrella on the hood of the military vehicle.
She opened the Alto car door and sat in, leaning her head on the seat.  The back of the seat was scorching her back, and the temperature inside the car was very high, so she turned on the air conditioner to cool down.
The wind at the exit was blowing.

The gray-white building was covered with a layer of sunset on the wall, and it was very quiet.  Behind the building is a dense forest with fat green leaves.  She suddenly thought of Dongguo, the large tracts of dusty olive groves.
The temperature inside the car had completely dropped. She glanced at her watch. It was nearly ten minutes.
She can't wait too long, the guard at the gate will become suspicious.  She glanced at the black umbrella on the car next door, and finally sat up straight, ready to pull on her seat belt, but she caught a glimpse of a person coming out from the corner of the building out of the corner of her eye.
Short-sleeved combat uniform, belt, trousers, military boots, and a familiar figure.
Song Ran immediately loosened her seat belt, stretched out her hand to turn down the air conditioner, and pretended to have just gotten into the car.
Li Zan walked this way, his eyes slightly squinted against the setting sun.  When he got closer, he saw her in the car.
Song Ran lowered the car window to the bottom and said hello, "Officer Li."
He nodded slightly, and asked, "Come to drive?"
"Yeah." Song Ran said, "It's been here for a week, so it's troublesome."
"Nothing." He smiled.
Song Ran discovered that he often laughed, but never loudly. It was always gentle and light, like a breeze.
But it seems... out of politeness... it won't get any closer. 
"And that umbrella," she pointed out, "I brought it."
She put away the long umbrella on the front cover of the car. Each umbrella surface was neatly arranged, rolled up tightly, and the umbrella belt was fastened tightly.
He opened the car door, put the umbrella in, bent down and rummaged through the seats.
After about ten seconds, he closed the car door with two books and two bottles of water in his hands.
He handed her a bottle.  Song Ran took advantage of this opportunity to take a quick glance and see clearly whether he was holding an advanced physics and chemistry book or an English version.
I like reading...
"Thank you." She took the water and said, "And last time, thank you too."
"Last time?" Li Zan raised his eyebrows slightly.
Song Ran explained: "Bo Keta."
"Oh..." He responded casually, put the book on the hood of the car, unscrewed the bottle of water and took a sip.  When the man raised his head, his jaw line was firm, and his Adam's apple rolled up and down.
Song Ran looked away and looked at the small white bottle cap in his hand.
He only took a sip and closed the lid.  Then he looked at her with quiet eyes.  But after all, he is a soldier, and his silent eyes also have a faint power.
Song Ran opened his mouth slowly, and continued the topic: "It took me a long time to find the information on Bo Keta's destruction. It's too unpopular. Do you have research on the history of the Eastern Kingdom?"
Li Zan tightened the bottle cap, smiled lightly, and said, "The locals told it."
Song Ran was taken aback.
He took the books on the front cover of the car, tapped the cover lightly, and said goodbye with a nod: "Let's go first."
   "……Um."
"Oh..." He had just turned around, and when he remembered something, he took another step back and asked, "Is my rope still with you?"
Song Ran: "Huh?"
He waved his hand: "Just throw it away."
"Ah. Yes." She said hastily, "but at my house."
She lied, the red string was in her bag.

She drooped her eyelashes, raised them again, and said, "I didn't bring them with me, so I'll give it back to you next time?"
   "good."
Song Ran asked: "How can I pay you back next time?"
He thought for a while and asked, "Is there any paper and pen?"
   "have."
Song Ran lowered his head and flipped through the paper and pen in the bag, guilty of avoiding the red rope lying inside.  She handed him the pad and pen.
He came over, put the water bottle and folder on the roof of her car, took the pen and paper, bent slightly, and pressed on the side of her car window to write.  The man's figure suddenly covered the skylight outside the window.
Song Ran raised her eyes to peek at his drooping face. The brow bone was high, the eyelashes were long, and the complexion was healthy, neither too fair nor too dark.
He quickly wrote down a series of numbers, tapped the pen tip on the paper, and straightened up.
Her gaze naturally moved to the note paper, on which was written the word "Li", followed by a string of phone numbers.
He said, "It's troublesome."
She took it over: "It should. I was embarrassed and accidentally tore it off."
He smiled lightly, noncommittal.
"Is the rope safe?" she asked.
"Yeah." He thought of something, and reached out to her for paper again, "If I'm absent, I'll make another call."
Song Ran handed the paper to him, and saw that he was seriously writing the number with his head down, hesitated for a moment, and said, "Is it a gift from a relative?"
He didn't answer at first, but when he finished writing it to her, he raised his eyes to look at her and said, "Yes."
Song Ran's heart broke, and he said, "Then I'll leave a phone number for you too. Just in case I forget, please remind me. Don't lose important things."