Chapter 40

Chapter 40
As June enters, the Imperial City becomes hotter.  Walking on the concrete street is like walking in a hot and baking desert.
The "Our Flag" column team has successfully completed the program production and is just waiting for it to be broadcast online during the summer vacation.
On the day we finished work, we all had dinner together.
The director particularly praised Song Ran at the table.  Although several reporters were interviewing and filming popular military figures at the same time, Song Ran was always able to unexpectedly start with the details and discover the touching stories behind the characters. He got rid of the stereotypes and added many interesting or touching subplots.
Little A praised: "Song Ran looks introverted and gentle, but he is patient and sharp when doing things. It is so comfortable to work with you. How about you come to work with us."
Song Ran smiled: "I've been resigning for too long, and I'm used to being undisciplined. I'm afraid I won't be able to adjust well."
More importantly, she is about to start writing "The Floating Century".
She declined politely, and no one stayed.  After all, she has a good reputation and it would be better to be a freelance journalist.
Everyone sat around the table and chatted while eating.
During the dinner, someone mentioned Liangcheng TV's reality show "I Am a Military Trainee."  That show is very popular recently. The stars receive military training in the army, and the instructors strictly discipline the spoiled stars.
Little B complained: "In recent years, the entertainment industry has been all about sensationalism and clichés!"
Song Ran had seen that program at home. Among the instructors were Li Zan's teammates, and Shen Bei's name was at the end of the film.
She was inexplicably alert and sent a message asking if Li Zan participated in the show.  Li Zan replied no.
"Why don't you go?"
   "Not interested in."
While Song Ran was struggling, Li Zan sent a message: "Do you want to ask Shen Bei?"
He was so frank, and she simply pointed it out: "I'm afraid she will chase you again."
Li Zan replied with three words: "We have a master." He rarely said such words.  She blushed, but kept pushing further: "It's not okay for a celebrity to chase you."
Li Zan said: "Do you think I'm trying to catch a thief? A bunch of people are chasing me."
Song Ran chuckled, and the matter was over.
Thinking of this, Song Ran couldn't help but smile.
Next to him, the director clicked his tongue while watching the news on his mobile phone. It said that extremist organizations went on a killing spree in Su Rui City in the middle of the Eastern Kingdom, beheading hundreds of government prisoners and civilians.  They also dragged three Cook soldiers behind the car and drove them hundreds of kilometers through thorny terrain, and tortured them to death.
Song Ran shuddered as she felt like there were thorns all over her body.
Little C asked angrily: "Are these terrorists raised by animals?"
Li Zan had just finished taking a shower when he saw the news.
He stood in front of the window and looked at the mountains and forests.  In early June, the vegetation on Luoyu Mountain was lush and green.
The cell phone suddenly rang. It was from the United States.
Benjamin didn't beat around the bush and said straight to the point: "LEE, do you want to join the Cook Armed Forces?"
Li Zan has always paid attention to it.
At the end of last year, a non-governmental armed force emerged in Dongguo, code-named Cook, specializing in terrorists.  Many former special operations soldiers of the government and anti-government forces and international mercenary volunteers have joined.
Li Zan pursed his lips and said, "I am an officer and cannot join other armed forces. Besides, I cannot go abroad freely, except to the United States for medical treatment."
Benjamin said regretfully: "I wish I could fight alongside you. Now there are many sniper commandos armed by Cook, but excellent demolition soldiers like you are scarce."
On the side battlefield, Li Zan's commonly used bomb disposal skills can save people, but on the front battlefield, his blasting technology is the most lethal weapon.
After putting down the phone that night, Li Zan found Chen Feng and talked about it.
Chen Feng frowned when he heard this: "You are crazy. You are a Chinese soldier. How could you go to fight in another country? Don't even think about it!"
Li Zan said nothing, lowering his eyes and thinking about something.
Chen Feng saw his thoughts at a glance and said angrily: "Even if you find an excuse to go to the United States for medical treatment, I will go with you."
Li Zan raised his eyes to look at him.
"A-Zan, don't be stupid. If you go to the United States and go to other countries on the way, you will have to go to a military court! Unless you will never return to the country in your life. Your father doesn't want it? Does your girlfriend want it?"
Li Zan had a calm expression and said nothing.
Chen Feng poked his forehead with his finger: "I said you are usually kind and easy to talk to. Why do you dare to think of such nonsense?"
Li Zan leaned back in his chair and said, "Then you approve my application and let me go to peacekeeping."
Chen Feng knocked on the table: "You can't even pass the psychological test, how can I let you out?!"
"Don't lie to me, I know it." Li Zan said, "I have no problem simulating actual combat now. I can do all tasks. Even in actual combat, my main purpose is not to dismantle bombs, but to blast."
   "you……"
Li Zan looked stubborn and calm.  Chen Feng stared at him for a long time and sighed: "I knew this was your knot. You can go if you insist. Three months, you go to the border to fight for three months. If you pass the performance, I will let you go."
Li Zan said: "Okay."
Chen Feng was speechless for a moment, then suddenly laughed: "The answer is so early, what if Reporter Song doesn't agree?"
Li Zan said: "She knows, I told her."
Chen Feng had no choice but to say: "Your military type is too special, so the organization investigated your girlfriend's background."
Li Zan was not surprised by this.
"There is nothing wrong with her family background and relatives. By the way, her mother is Director Ran of XXX."
Li Zan was stunned for a moment, but didn't care.
"Is your girlfriend also going to the Imperial City now?" Chen Feng said, "A-Zan, although I want to keep you here, Liangcheng is small and you have a wider room for improvement. Falcon Assault in the Imperial City  The team brings together the top elites in the country, and it is the best place for you to go. You are smart and well-educated. Wouldn't it be nice to study hard with Colonel Lin and try to get transferred there after two years, so that you can take care of both career and love?"
"I am a captain who is very powerful in Liang City. But if you throw them into the Imperial City, you can catch a lot of them."
"But you are still young."
"I just thought about it clearly before making the decision now." Li Zan said, "If I can't get over this hurdle, I won't be able to make a difference on a more competitive platform, I will only be eliminated. I pretended to be okay, Zhan Zhan  I went to the Imperial City with the glory of Colonel Lin and me. What next? When facing more difficult and dangerous actual combat tasks at the national level, I still have psychological problems, and my performance is inferior to that of the elite comrades around me, and I may even commit some crimes.  Big mistake. Instructor, could you still help me at that time? What future did I have at that time?"
Chen Feng was stunned and suddenly understood what the military doctor said.
He has a clearer and longer-term vision for his future plans than anyone else.
……
Chen Feng quickly arranged a three-month border mission for Li Zan.
Before departure, Li Zan applied for two days of sick leave and went to the military medical experts in Imperial City to check his ears.
Taking a bus to the Imperial City, as soon as I got out of the station, I saw Song Ran waiting in the crowd.  She caught sight of him, stood on tiptoes and waved to him, her eyes as bright as water.
Li Zan walked towards her quickly, and she ran over and threw herself into his arms and hugged his waist.
He hugged her extra hard, took his chin and rubbed her temples tightly.
After not seeing each other for half a month, it was natural to go back to the hotel for a lot of trouble and lingering, and we didn’t go out for a late-night snack until midnight.
In mid-June, the Imperial City was very hot.  There is an office area near the hotel, and there are many white-collar workers eating late at night, so it is very lively.
The two of them were sitting in the skewers shop, looking like college students visiting the Imperial City.
Ordered a variety of grilled skewers and two cans of iced drinks.