Chapter Twenty One- Fallback Or Fall Apart

Once when I was six, mom and dad took me to the beach. It wasn't uncommon considering we lived in one of the many beach houses found in Clear Bay. But this one time stuck out the most.

It was the first time I ever felt different.

I was running around with Brie, when we got really close to the shore. It was high tide and mom had warned me to stay close because my swimming skills weren't exactly perfect by then. I didn't listen though, I thought I was a perfect swimmer.

Hell, I thought I was a fucking mermaid!

Brie ran off to look for seashells closer to the adults. I thought it was smarter to look by the water. I finally found a shiny pearl colored one. As I was digging it out, a huge tide came in.

Instead of swimming back, my body went into panic mode. I instantly forgot everything dad taught me about swimming.

Thankfully a life guard came in and saved me. Everyone ran towards the poor guy and ambushed him. He explained what he saw and handed me over to my parents.

Except not really- he handed me to Aunt Chrissie and her husband. Mom got really mad and said I was hers.

The lifeguard apologized and explained I looked too much like aunt Chrissie. Since then, I couldn't help but compare myself to my parents.

They were blonde. I was brunette. Mom had grey eyes and dad had blue. I was odd and had green eyes. Mom had curly hair, dad had straight, then there was me, with my wavy hair.

Mom and dad could tan easily. I wasn't so fortunate. I was always a pale color.

After a couple months of racking my brain, I finally told them. It was October and it was bedtime. Mom and dad kissed me goodnight, but I needed to know. "Mommy, Daddy?" I called them. They both came to my side in no time.

"What is it sweetie?" Dad asked.

"How come I don't look like you and mommy?" I asked curiously.

I tried to ignore their panicked glances at each other. The way mom's grey eyes watered slightly with fear. Dad however seemed more put together, as if he knew this question would come sooner or later.

"You get your looks from mommy's side of the family." he said, "Your great grandmother had this nose-" he said softly poking my nose, "and those beautiful green eyes, and your soft brown hair."

Mom cleared her throat and gently stroked my cheek, "You are ours Ally. No matter what anyone says, you belong to daddy and I. Now enough of this and go to bed, you have school in the morning." she whispered kissing my cheeks as dad kissed my other.

Fast forward twelve years, and here I was crying on Masons shoulder. He held me tightly, rubbing my back gently and whispering in my ear.

"It's okay princess. They still love you, they still love you." he repeated over and over again.

Finally, I angrily pushed him away. "You don't lie to someone you love!" I yelled angrily.

He looked hurt and tried to keep me quiet. "Shh, your parents are going to hear you." he tried to warn me.

I scoffed loudly and got up. I stormed out of my room and down stairs. I was sure Mason would leave, but much to my surprise, he was hot on my heals.

"Ally you need to calm down. You're too mad, just calm down before you talk to them!" he growled in frustration.

I quickly stopped on the stairs and glared at him. "Fuck off Reynolds! You knew this whole time and never once told me!" I spat angrily.

"It wasn't my secret to tell!" he shot back before he sighed and gently held my hands. "I didn't want you to get hurt."