Chapter Twenty Two- Don't Torture Yourself

Chapter Twenty Two - Don't Torture Yourself

"Lets gather round the campfire and sing our campfire song." Brett sang obnoxiously.

I groaned and threw a stone at Brett, "shut up and get the fire started i'm freezing my ass off!"

"My dad and I sing this whenever we go camping. It always cheers my mom up." he shrugged.

"Dude that's when you go out camping. We're stuck here, this isn't a happy go lucky camping trip. We're stuck here, and if you don't get that fire started, then we'll freeze to death!" Brie snapped rubbing her arms.

It was the worst road trip ever. We all piled into Nate's SUV and drove off into the night. We were making good time, until Nate's car battery died in the middle of nowhere.

Please keep in mind it's mid January and the weather was freezing. I'm talking about South Pole cold. I half expected Ramon to come out and waddle through here.

"Hey let's just get this fire started. Maybe we can get a service truck in the morning." Mason reasoned.

"It's 3 in the morning....Sunday morning." I raised my eyebrow.

"Where are we exactly?" Collins asked curling next to Nate.

"We were an hour and a half from Brentwood." Nate answered wrapping his arms around Collins tighter.

After the car stopped, we decided to make a camp until morning. At least then we'd be well rested and find a place out of here.

"YOU ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE!" Brett yelled proudly as he pointed at the small fire he made.

"Oh that's nice babe. But who is that going to warm up, us or the ants?" Gaby mumbled chattering her teeth.

Brett was about to retort when I stopped him. "Alright everyone back in the car before we freeze." I ordered. No one seemed that eager to sleep outside anyway.

We piled into the car luckily Nate had a big enough car that we could all be somewhat comfortable. I sat in back atop the duffle bags we packed. I grabbed a hoodie and pulled it on to keep myself warm.

The girls all had their boyfriends to keep them warm. I wasn't so fortunate.

Brie and Laine sat in the passenger seat, trying to sleep. Nate and Collins were in front of me cuddling and laughing about something. Brett and Gabs were already huddled together on the drivers seat listening to Gabs ipod.

I grabbed the awful manila envelope. Everything told me to put it away and never look at it, but curiosity got the best of me.

"Don't torture yourself princess." a sweet sultry voice whispered.

My eyes snapped right to Mason. He frowned and climbed over the seats. His big legs stretched over and landed on me.

Did it ever occur to him I wanted to be alone? Was that so hard to comprehend.

"Reynolds go bother someone else." I rolled my eyes.

Mason raised his eyebrow amused, "If you haven't noticed, they've kind of paired off. It's just us two left." he smirked.

"Go away." I demanded, holding the manila envelope to my chest.

"I need somewhere to sleep and you and I have a sleeping history." he shrugged and stretched out so that his arm was gently rested on my shoulder. I could have lied and said it wasn't comforting. But it really was...plus it was cold.

"Fine...b-but only because i'm cold." I relented. Mason smirked triumphantly. I gripped the envelope and contemplated whether I should see what else was found in there.