Chapter 11: Starlight Secrets.

Firey was woken up when he heard his balcony door being pulled at, then opened.

He lay there for a moment, listening out for any footsteps but nothing was heard.

He pushed back his duvet and walked quietly to his living room to see if someone had broken in.

He turned on the light recoiled in fear when he saw someone standing there.

Someone with green hair...

He quickly remembered why Leafy was in his house, after she had a bit too much to drink it was too dangerous for her to go home by herself and so, he had told her she could stay here until the morning.

But it wasn't the morning, it was still dark out, the clock on his wall read 2AM.

He watched her for a moment, she was out in the cold night air, staring out at the city skyline with Butter sitting by her feet, looking up at her.

Firey walked out and joined her, admiring the view of the bright lights against the harsh darkness of the night.

"It's so pretty, isn't it?" Leafy mused.

"Yeah, not too bad," Firey said as he breathed in the air.

A silence hung between them, not once did Leafy look at Firey, she hadn't greeted him when he came out.

Firey stretched his arms as he walked back inside to go the kitchen where he picked up his nearly empty pack of cigarettes and a lighter.

"I bought these literally last week," Firey grumbled to himself.

He walked back to the balcony, he rested his elbows on the edge as he lit the cigarette.

As he exhaled the sharp, ashy thing, he watched as the smoke danced upwards into the starry sky, reminding him of a dusty river.

The silence was still there, Leafy seemed to be elsewhere with her thoughts, her eyes unusually dull as she stared, seemingly at nothing.

Firey realised he hadn't asked Leafy if he could smoke, he was used to just doing it that he had forgotten to ask her if it would effect her.

She hadn't protested but just to be safe, he made sure to exhale in the direction the wind was blowing so she wouldn't get a faceful of second hand smoke.

The thought of offering her one did cross his mind but since singing is part of her job it probably would have been a refusal and besides, cigarettes are expensive.

He looked down at Butter who was still sitting by Leafy, his tongue sticking out.

He had two little black patches of fur above his eyes that made him look like he was constantly glaring.

Firey smiled fondly at the fluffy, little animal before returning his attention back on the city.

They had been standing out here for a while and yet nothing had been said, Leafy's gaze had moved upwards to the stars, her eyes still lacking the usual brightness that could captivate crowds.

She seemed relaxed... no, not relaxed, she seemed, limp, like she was a doll leaning against a wall.

Slowly, she raised an arm up and pointed at the brightest star that could be seen, it hung just above a tall skyscraper in the city.

"I'm just like that," she whispered.

"Like what?" Firey hadn't seen what she was referring to, he searched the sky for whatever it was.

"The star, Pom-Pom,"she sighed.

"Huh, how are you like a star?" Firey asked confusedly.

"I didn't think you'd get it, no one ever does, I never usually explain it," she exhaled slowly.