Chapter 24: Sick Surprise

The lecture hall was always way too hot but way too cold at the same time, it was always super stuffy and Firey hated it.

As usual, his professor was droning on and on and Firey had given up on taking notes halfway through the talk.

Most of the people around him were half-asleep and barely paying attention.

The guy beside him, Blocky was...well they only really spoke at lectures and the rare time when they would meet in the library to study.

They were acquaintances, not close enough to be friends by a long shot but definitely not strangers.

At that moment, Blocky was making a paper airplane out of the hand out the professor had given them.

Firey scoffed when Blocky threw it and it landed in front of some random girl who quickly turned around and glared at Blocky.

He flipped her off and then rolled his eyes in exaggerated annoyance at Firey who mouthed at him to stop but he didn't really mean it.

It took Firey's mind off the lecture for a few minutes but it didn't last long and soon he was back to sitting there wishing he was literally anywhere else.

That's how most of these went, boring crap occasionally interrupted by Blocky being stupid.

...

Two o'clock couldn't come faster for Firey and the moment the professor said that could leave, Firey was out of there.

He leaned against the side of a random lecture hall and checked his phone.

There was a text from his mom but he didn't want to deal with anything from his family right there so he marked it as read, it probably wasn't important.

While he was reading an article Coiny has sent him, he heard someone stand beside him, a little bit too close for his liking, he didn't want to start anything so he moved away slightly.

The person did the same thing though, from the corner of his eye, Firey saw that it was a woman who was fairly well dressed.

"Can I help you?" Firey asked.

The person didn't respond for a moment, total silence sat between them until the woman laughed.

A lovely, twinkling laugh.

"Leafy?!" Firey jumped, totally surprised.

"Took ya long enough, Pom-Pom!" She laughed.

"Jeez, I thought you were some creep," Firey laughed with a twinge of embarrassment.

Leafy took off her hat and her hair fell elegantly to her shoulders, Firey was unable to look away as he gazed at her, totally transfixed by her.

"Oh hey, I thought your schedule was totally booked lately, what's up?" Firey asked, remembering Leafy complaining about having zero free time.

"Ugh yeah, with all the prep for the competition and all the other events my group has I've gotten no time to myself but Four said I needed a break so I have a day off and I decided to come find you," Leafy smiled.

It suddenly hit Firey that they were standing in the campus of his university and he hadn't even told Leafy where he was.

"How did you find me? I was always getting lost when I first came here," Firey mused.

"Well, you told me you had a lecture today and I know what you're majoring in so I asked some people where your building was and I just kinda waited around for a while," Leafy explained.

"Oh, I didn't think I was that easy to find," Firey said, mostly to himself.

"Anyway, I was hoping you were free and we could do something, it's been a while since we hung out and I kinda miss you," Leafy admitted.