Chapter 27: Sun Kissed

"So you're saying you've never been in an actual forest before?"

"Nope, never really been in the country side either, most of my life has been in cities and big towns,"

Firey could not believe what he was hearing, the idea that someone could live their life never having experienced the magic of a natural forest or the peace of being away from a city was crazy.

"I've always wanted to, I just never have the chance," Leafy shrugged.

The sound of the wind rustling the leaves, the bubbling of a nearby creak, memories of these things came back to Firey.

All the countless different colours that the plant life created and the melodic singing of the birds, running through the bushes with mud on his clothes and playing in his secret hide out.

All of that was his childhood, learning about the animals that lived in the trees or the undergrowth, making up stories to scare his friends and after a long day of just having fun, going back home and eating a warm dinner after chugging some cold water.

"It's kinda been a silly little dream of mine, ya know? To just wander through a pretty field or forest and then have a little picnic or something," Leafy said bashfully.

He knew where plenty of forests were, his childhood home was basically surrounded by them as well as picturesque fields that would be amazing considering the time of year.

He could actually make this a reality for Leafy, he could get the chance to be with her as they meandered about the natural beauty of it all.

But, he thought it might be better as a surprise.

It was nighttime, Leafy was staying at Firey's place again, this was becoming increasingly more common for her and they were out on the balcony together.

There was a bright, shining star in the sky that caught Firey's attention and after taking a slow drag from his cigarette he spoke.

"Maybe if you make a wish on that star up there, it'll come true," he said simply.

"Don't make fun of me," Leafy frowned.

"I'm being serious," Firey replied.

"Oh, I..."

She looked up the sky, her eyes shimmering under the glow of a nearby lantern, reflecting the light and showing off the colours they held, vivid greens and soft yellows, all coming together in a way that mystified Firey, rendering him speechless.

It was funny in a sweet way, how she stared intently at the star, deep in thought and focusing very hard on her wish.

Butter, who was sitting beside Leafy, barked at her and was promptly shushed by Firey who didn't want to interrupt her focus concentration.

"I haven't made a wish like that in a long time," Leafy laughed.

"Can't say I ever have, I'm not that kind of person," Firey said, stumping out the cigarette.

"I did it all the time as a kid, it was basically a hobby," she smiled sweetly.

"What would you wish for?" Firey asked curiously.

"I can't tell you everything I wished for, there's too much to talk about," she said, placing a finger to her lips.

"Aw come on, you can tell me one thing," Firey wheedled.

"Hm okay, I'll tell you one that already came true," she snickered.

"I wished for a cute boyfriend who was handsome, funny and a total sweetheart who I would love with my whole heart,"