Chapter 19: Darkened Star

Nine years ago, Leafy Verte was given an opportunity that changed her life forever.

The day had started out normally, it was a cool Saturday morning in early spring and she was going to hang out with her friends.

Her mother had gone out drinking the night before, she came home late and blacked out, she was in her bed in a snoring heap and still in her clothes she had worn out.

She wouldn't be awake for another few hours and Leafy was well aware of this.

She knew how pathetic this woman was, having recently given up on being her daughter and actually trying to have a relationship, she felt no remorse at all when she went into her room, took her purse and pulled out twenty dollars.

She wouldn't care, her mother never noticed anything she did, good or bad.

After getting dressed and making sure she looked cool, Leafy left the house, without a word to the woman who was supposed to look after her.

She never had a curfew, she could just come and go as she pleased since there was high chance her mom would be gone by the time she came home, off somewhere drinking and flirting with strange men she didn't know.

It was a shame really, her mother was very pretty with gorgeous dark green hair, enchanting eyes and on the surface a very pleasant demeanor.

In another life, maybe they could have been the ideal mother and daughter that Leafy wished they were.

She looked so similar to her mother, at least that's what she was told.

Leafy couldn't help but feel envy when she saw real moms with their daughters, being kind and loving, doing what a mother is supposed to do.

That's what she wanted, but she never got what she wanted, it just wasn't fair.

The moms she saw on TV and when she went out were nothing like her own one.

Sometimes she felt like she didn't even have a mother.

...

Leafy trudged down the street, her hands in her pockets as she kicked a can, annoying the people around her.

She was not a well mannered child, pushing in front of people, shoving past them, tripping them up, spitting near where they walked and deliberately getting in their way.

At just eleven years old, Leafy was well on her way to becoming a delinquent, she hung out with sketchy people and was very easily manipulated.

She wanted to fit in with her "friends" she would do anything.

It really was unfair, the people she hung out with were mostly fourteen and knew that she would do whatever they asked if they told her they would like her more.

She had been coerced into shoplifting, drinking and more.

But it helped her feel like she fit it, like a comfortable lie.

When she reached the group of people whom she called her friends, she was greeted with high-fives, fist-bumps and "bro hugs", a bro hug was where both parties pulled eachother in and gave a pat on the back.

They were a new occurrence but Leafy went with it, she had always liked hugs of any kind.

Leafy was the only girl in the group and while most of the boys had girlfriends, it didn't stop the things people said.

She was called a bitch, a whore and so many other things and she was just eleven years old, she had no idea why she was even called them in the first place.