Chapter 5

Deirys and Rhaegon talk, she is not happy with him and lets him know it. Rhaegon goes to visit Rhaelys, wanting to apologize, but she is the one to give him some surprising news. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

Rhaegon hated feeling guilty, for the past six years that was all he had felt. Guilt was a horrible feeling, it made people act in ways they normally would not and hurt people they would have never hurt otherwise. He had been living in pain and guilt for so long that it had felt good to shift those feelings onto someone else, even if it was only for a few minutes. He had been furious when Rhaelys told him she was a dragon dreamer, that she had known what Jaehaera's destiny was. His niece had always trusted him and he was hurt that she did not tell him what was going to happen, he felt betrayed. But Rhaelys had been right, it was not her doing, Jaehaera had made her own choices. He still would have liked to know.

"If I did not know any better I would say you were hiding from someone." Deirys appeared before him, her face calm as she sat beside him. "Could it be Baelon?"

"No, our brother barely speaks to me as it is." Rhaegon shook his head. "He walks the other way if he sees me coming."

"Yes, I have been told how upset he is." Deirys placed her hands on her lap, playing with the rings on her fingers. "Just give him a few more days, I will also speak with him."

"Are you aware that Rhaelys is a dragon dreamer?" Deirys looked startled, and he was not sure if it was because of the change in topic or the tone of his voice. "I am guessing that you are."

"Of course I am aware." His sister narrowed her eyes. "I do not like your tone. If there is a charge you wish to make, then make it."

"She knew about Jaehaera's death before it happened." Rhaegon stood up, glaring at his sister. "She did not say anything, she did not tell me. Did you know also?"

"Rhaegon.." Deirys stood up and Baelon took a step closer to her.

"No! I want to know if you knew that my wife would die before she did?"

"No, I did not know." He looked into her eyes, nodding after a few seconds when he could not find any deception. Deirys rubbed her temples. "Rhaelys told me a few days after Jaehaera passed. She came crying into my chambers, thinking that it was her fault her aunt was dead. It took me hours to convince her that what happened was not her doing and she had no control over it. She was heartbroken."

"Why did she not say anything before?" Rhaegon still did not understand why his niece had kept it to herself. "Why would she not tell us something so important?"

"Because she was afraid, she was a child Rhaegon. She did not know what to do." Deirys's eyes were pleading. "No matter what she said Jaehaera would still have died. There was no way to stop that from happening, it was the will of the Gods."

"Well, fuck the Gods, they are cruel bastards." Why give someone prophecies and made them see horrible things they could not stop? "It is horrible that they provide knowledge before things happen and not give us a way to stop it."

"I know, I am sorry." Rhaegon took a step back, not wanting to crowd his sister. Deirys seemed to be questioning something because she gave him a strange look. "How did you know Rhaelys is a dragon dreamer?"

"She told me."

"She told you?" Deirys frowned. "When?"

"A few days ago." He did not understand why it was important for his sister to know.

"Was she the one to tell you that she saw Jaehaera's death before it happened?"

"Yes."

"Are you the reason my daughter has bruises on her arms?" Rhaegon swallowed at the furious look his sister gave him, but still nodded his head. Which he knew was a mistake the moment he did. He could have sworn flames shot out of his sister's eyes, he could almost see Vermithor in her. "How dare you?"