48

The days stretched on, each visit to Jay's house bringing a mix of hope and disappointment for Y/n. She watched from the sidelines as Jungwon struggled to regain his memory, his interactions with her growing more distant and strained. It was as if the connection they once shared had been severed, leaving her feeling adrift and uncertain.

She walked into Jay's living room, her steps hesitant as she approached Jungwon, who was sitting on the couch lost in his thoughts. He glanced up at her briefly before averting his gaze, the distance between them palpable.

"Jungwon," Y/n began softly, her voice laced with a mix of sadness and determination.

He didn't respond, his silence a painful reminder of the gap that had formed between them. Y/n took a deep breath, summoning the courage to speak her truth.

"I've been coming here every day, hoping that you would remember... us," she continued, her voice trembling slightly. "But it's clear that the memories haven't returned, and I don't want to keep pushing you if you're not ready."

Jungwon's gaze remained fixed on the floor, his expression conflicted. "Y/n, I... I don't know what to say."

A heavy sigh escaped Y/n's lips, her heart aching with the weight of her decision. "Jungwon, I can't keep holding onto something that might never come back. It's tearing me apart, and I need to think about what's best for me and the baby."

He finally looked up at her, his eyes filled with a mix of regret and confusion. "Are you saying... you're leaving?"

Tears welled in Y/n's eyes, but she blinked them away, determined to stay strong. "I think it's the right thing to do. I need to find some closure and move forward, even if it's incredibly hard."

Jungwon's voice wavered as he spoke, his vulnerability shining through. "And what about us? What if... what if the memories come back?"

Y/n's heart ached as she looked into his eyes, her voice soft and filled with emotion. "Jungwon, if the memories return and you want to find me, you'll know where to find me. But I can't keep waiting for something that might never happen."

He nodded slowly, a mix of sadness and understanding in his gaze. "I don't want you to go, Y/n."

Her voice was barely a whisper as she spoke her final words to him. "I don't want to go either, Jungwon. But sometimes, we have to make difficult choices for our own well-being."

With a heavy heart, Y/n turned away from him, her steps carrying her towards the door. She paused for a moment, her hand on the doorknob, before glancing back at Jungwon one last time.

"Goodbye, Jungwon," she said, her voice breaking slightly. "Take care."

And with that, she stepped out of the room, leaving behind a chapter of her life that had once been filled with love and hope, now replaced by uncertainty and the bittersweet ache of letting go.

The guilt:

Jay's presence was a soothing balm to Jungwon's wounded heart. He sat down beside his friend, his gaze filled with understanding. Without a word, he placed a reassuring hand on Jungwon's back, offering silent support.

Jungwon's shoulders shook as he tried to hold back his tears, his emotions threatening to overwhelm him. He felt an intense mix of frustration, confusion, and guilt, all swirling within him like a storm. He had pushed away the one person who had cared for him, who had tried to bring him back to himself.

"I messed up, Jay," Jungwon finally managed to choke out, his voice thick with emotion.

Jay's grip on his back tightened. "We all make mistakes, Jungwon. What matters is how we learn from them."