⋆ ✦ ˚。 Epilouge ˚。⋆

𓆩⟡𓆪
╰┈➤ 𝑫𝒂𝒏 𝑯𝒆𝒏𝒈 settled onto the grass, his fingers trembling slightly as he picked up the pen from the ground. The worn paper felt familiar against his skin—and with a shaky hand, he began to write.

__ __

You found yourself at the same hilly plateau, overlooking the calm ocean waters.

"Will you be okay, child?" Svarog's robotic voiced hummed, with your little sister Clara clinging to his legs.

"Yes, thank you Svarog," you paused to cast a gentle look toward the little girl, and back at her mechanic guardian, "if you two could give us some space?" Svarog inclined his head slightly, with Clara copying his movements, their steps retreating as they moved beyond the enclosing gates.

You then took your seat on the grass beside Dan Heng, staring beyond the cliff that overlooked the ocean.

"Long time no see, grumpy old man," you sighed with a chuckle, "a place like this is totally your style. Not bad, nice view."

"How are you doing?"

"It took me a while to find you. Things have been a little rough these days—but you know me! I just keep going, keep living."

"I miss you, a lot."

"You know I've uh..." you struggle to find the right words for a moment. There's so many things you want to say—rather you need to say—yet you feel the as if the sentences are caught in your throat. "I've thought about you, everyday. I guess I'm trying to say that...I miss you," you laughed again, realizing how corny you were sounding.

"Did you receive our gifts? I wonder if you liked them. Actually I wonder what you thought of...mine."

"I read your poems often. For some reason, knowing you were thinking about me while you wrote them...gives me a sense of comfort."

"Thank you, for showing me what it's like to truly care for someone."

"I suppose I should thank you—actually all of you. You guys helped me realize that there is passion to life. I may get torn down, fall into slumps—but I realized, even if I'm in the past...time always keeps moving forward. Things will pass, people will change, but in the end, time goes on."

"Sometimes, I wish I could have gone with you."

The breeze rustled the grass around you, and the waves below crashed against the rocks, creating a soothing sound.

"But I guess I'll just keep writing poems, so that one day they may make you smile."

"I don't usually have many regrets," you admitted, voice tinged with a what could only be wistfulness. "But not telling you my honest feelings..."

"My only regret, is not telling you how I truly felt."

"I'll always cherish the time we had together."

"I love you."

"Dan Heng I—" a chuckled sob escaped your lips, as you struggled to continue.

"Dear child, it is time to return home now." Svarog's sudden appearance startled you, and you jumped to cover your face. "What is wrong, my vital scans are detecting a drop in your current mood. Are you not happy here?"

"No no," you wiped a few stray tears from your face, "I just remembered something, is all."

Clara picked up on the subtle sadness in your voice and, in her earnest way of offering comfort, threw herself into your arms. The embrace lingered for a few minutes, a silent exchange of solace, before Clara gently pulled away.

As you both rose to your feet, you extended a hand to help your little sister up, gaze flickering toward Svarog, "We can go now."

However, as the three of you turned to leave, you spared one final glance at the gravestone behind you—a small smile finding its way on your lips.

"I'll see you later, bookworm."

__ __

The elderly man crumpled the unsent letter in his weathered hands, releasing it into the blowing wind. Dan Heng then watched as it fell into the crashing waves, being consumed into the deep depths of the water.

He couldn't bring himself to do anything else but stare out in front of him, at the vast ocean. Probably because, it will always remind him of you.

"It's so cruel, time truly, waits for no one."

And the wind whispered again, softly, as if carrying your words and his to each other, across the divide.

Grazie per leggere—!

╰┈➤ UNEDITED

Grazie per leggere—!••• ┊┊╰┈➤ UNEDITED ✦