Part 4

MADELYN

MADELYN

💌

Madelyn awoke abruptly, sweating and confused. To her surprise, she was still at Gracie's house, on her couch, Mamma Mia was playing for the second time on the TV. Madelyn checked her phone, it was 12:39 AM. Gracie was sleeping peacefully with her head in Madelyn's lap, the rest of her body crumpled tightly.

Madelyn smiled at this sight. She didn't remember falling asleep, but she knew that Gracie probably purposely laid on her which made Madelyn feel warm inside again. Then, she felt a pit in her stomach. Once again, her anxiety was getting the best of her. Madelyn really liked Gracie, but she couldn't wrap her mind around Gracie liking her back, in a friend way or even in a more than a friend way. She needed to get out before she panicked, something Madelyn had been doing more recently. When she felt even the slightest bit of anxiety, she needed to remove herself from the situation and get fresh air.

Madelyn gently picked up Gracie's head and attempted to wriggle free, trying not to wake her. Gracie sighed and turned over, her eyes closed and her head resting on Madelyn's thigh.

"Sorry." Madelyn whispered, her hands placed on Gracie's head. She managed to lift Gracie's head up just enough to get out from under her.

"Stay." Gracie whispered back. Madelyn couldn't tell if she was actually awake or still slightly asleep.

"I have to go." Madelyn said, immediately feeling bad. She stood up, but before she could walk away, Gracie grabbed her hand and squeezed it. Madelyn felt as the squeeze shot through her body, easing her anxiety. She took a deep breath, unsure of whether to stay or go. Madelyn knew she'd feel better if she woke up in her own bed in the morning.

Gracie didn't drop Madelyn's hand, her eyes were closed again. She looked so sweet and calm to Madelyn, her dark brown hair now messy and over her face. Madelyn rubbed her thumb over Gracie's hand, signaling for her to let go.

"Text me." Gracie whispered, squeezing Madelyn's hand once more before letting it go.

Madelyn smiled subtly. "I will."

Madelyn watched as Gracie quickly fell back asleep. She gathered her belongings and put her shoes on. Madelyn gave a quick pet to Weenie on her way out. Her mind started to race as she drove home. She couldn't believe that Gracie wanted to hang out with her. The feelings she had for Gracie only grew stronger, but Madelyn knew she would be absolutely destroyed if Gracie didn't like her back in that way. She rubbed her eyes and tried to think about other things to ease her worries.

GRACIE

💌

Gracie woke up the next morning in the same position on the couch, Weenie cuddled next to her, not Madelyn. She was somewhat disappointed that Madelyn left last night, but she totally understood. Last night was their first official time hanging out, and expecting her to stay over would've been asking a lot. Gracie felt happy, being with Madelyn was easy and fun. She really liked her, and it was different with her than any other friends Gracie had. She texted Madelyn but didn't get a response right away. She watched her phone closely as she ate breakfast, cleaned her house, and took Weenie for a walk, awaiting a response.