Part 19

MADELYN

MADELYN

💌

Madelyn noticed that Gracie seemed slightly off for the past few days. She didn't know why and it wasn't severe enough to make a big deal about it. She was quieter and more standoffish than normal. Madelyn would ask her if she was ok but Gracie always smiled and nodded. It was the morning and they had both just woken up. Madelyn gave Gracie a kiss and got out of bed to make coffee for her and Gracie. Few words were exchanged between them. 

Madelyn decided to book the flights to Charleston for her parents anniversary party. She was really excited to have Gracie meet her parents. Gracie made her way into the kitchen and sat down on a stool at the kitchen island, across from Madelyn.

"Hey." Madelyn said with a smile.

"Hi." Gracie replied.

She looked tired and rested her head in her hands.

"Would you want to go to Charleston on Thursday instead of Friday?" Madelyn asked while looking at her open laptop, searching for flights.

"Why?" Gracie asked.

"Neither of us are working, and the weekend's short. I thought it might be nice to have an extra day there." She replied.

There was no response. Madelyn looked at Gracie but couldn't get her attention.

"G." Madelyn said.

Gracie looked up and shrugged.

"Is that a yes or a no?" Madelyn asked.

Again, there was no response from Gracie. It seemed like she was confused or overwhelmed.

"Gracie." Madelyn began in a serious voice. "I need to book our flights. Thursday or Friday?" Madelyn asked, unsure if Gracie had plans Thursday.

"I don't fucking know, Maddie! Just decide." Gracie snapped before dramatically sighing and walking away. 

Madelyn stood there, surprised and unsure of what happened. She didn't think she said or did anything wrong, so she was confused as to why Gracie reacted in that way. Madelyn gave her a moment before approaching the situation.

Madelyn walked to the bedroom where she assumed Gracie was. The door was closed, so she knocked.

"Baby? Can I come in?" Madelyn asked.

She didn't hear anything from inside. She slowly opened the door where she saw Gracie laying in bed facing away from her. Madelyn couldn't see her face, so she wasn't sure what was going on.

"Gracie, what's going on?" She asked as she sat down on the bed, leaving lots of room between them.

She could hear Gracie sniffling. Madelyn gently placed her hand on her girlfriend's arm to comfort her, but Gracie quickly pulled it away.