8.

✨️FLASHBACK✨️

-In the rideshare. Moments before the car accident-

"Good evening, ladies," the driver said, welcoming them.

"Hi, uhm.. may you please move your seat a little bit forward?" Eva asked because she was seated directly behind the driver's seat, and it was kinda squashing her.

"I'm sorry but I can't do that because I'm tall and if I move any closer then I'm gonna have a hard time getting y'all to your destination and that's the last thing we want" he said with a slight chuckle to lighten the mood.

Fatima and Eva remained quiet because they found his "joke" bland and not funny.

"Uhm... how about you come sit in the front passenger seat?" He suggested. "I promise you that there's plenty of legroom and comfort."

Although Eva doesn't typically like to sit in the front seat of stranger's cars, she reluctantly got out of the car and walked over to the passenger side. Eva didn't pay much attention to the driver's voice or his appearance because it had been a long day. She was beyond tired, and all she wanted to do was get home and soak in her jacuzzi bathtub before snuggling with her pregnancy pillow on her comfy king-sized bed.

Eva settled into the front seat and didn't notice nor acknowledge the driver. She simply sat there with her body turned away from him and stared out the window. The driver didn't think much of it at first as he put on some good ol' soul music and began the 25-minute drive to Eva's house. When they were about halfway into the ride, a familiar melody finally grabbed Eva's attention... it was a song titled
🎶By the time this night is over by Kenny G🎶.

Eva couldn't help but to hum and lowly sing along to the song because it reminded her of...

"By the time this night is over (oh-oh)
The stars are gonna shine on two lovers in love (oh-oh)
And when the morning comes, it's gonna find us together (oh-oh)
In a love that's just begun..." the driver sang loudly, finally causing Eva to turn around and face him for the first time tonight.

"Jamal?" Eva said with a combination of shock and confusion.

"Hello Evangeline," he simply replied with a brief smile. "I've been trying to get your attention for the past couple of minutes, but I knew that this song would do it for sure. It was playing that night when we made love."

"Uhm, what the hell is going on here??!" Fatima asked, taking her head out of her phone and paying attention to the movie in front of her eyes.

"What are you doing here, Jamal? When did you become a driver?" Eva began bombarding him with a million questions. "Nigga are you even a driver?! Because the app said that our driver is someone named John Gray."

"Okay first of all you need to calm down. I know that this looks sketchy but I had to enlist some outside help because I know that this is the only way I would get you to talk to me. All I need is 5min of your time and I promise I'll leave you alone forever after this." Jamal explained.

"Okay fine! We're about 5min away from my destination so make it count. Talk!" Eva said.

"I want to start by saying that I'm sorry for telling Malik about us. It wasn't my place and I hope that-

"You're right! It wasn't your place!" Eva said cutting him off. "And before you even ask, NO I don't forgive you!"

"Evangeline please don't be like that. You know that I love you and sometimes the love I have for you makes me do some questionable things but it still doesn't change the fact that I love you, and you love me too!" Jamal said.