30.

Within a few seconds after aunt Viv left Fatima a voice-mail, her phone started ringing. She answered it on the first ring because she assumed that it was Fatima calling her back.

“Fatim—”

“It's me Vivian,” Evelyn said on the other end of the line.

Aunt Viv swiftly moved away from the crowd because she didn't want anyone to eavesdrop on her phone conversation.

“Ev, what the fuck did you do??!” Aunt Viv asked pissed.

“Me?” Evelyn chuckled. “I don't know what you're talking about.” She lied.

“Okay, keep that shit up then! Just know that the police are on the way here and your face will be plastered all over—”

“Woah woah woah!” Evelyn cut her off. “Let's not get too hasty nie. You do not have to involve the cops. This thing is very simple Viv.”

“How so?” Aunt Viv asked.

“It appears to me that I have something that you want and vice-versa. So how about we meet up, WITHOUT cops and make an exchange?” Evelyn suggested.

“Evelyn, you're sick you know that!! You really kidnapped your OWN granddaughter??!”

“Oh boo hoo hoo. You and I both know that she isn't really my blood.”

“I swear to God, if you touch a single hair on that little girl's hair, I'm
gonna—”

“Enough with the idle threats Vivian! We both know damn well that your scary ass ain't even capable of following through.”

The line went silent for a while as aunt Viv thought back to the fateful day when Evelyn said these exact same words to her. The words that align with the little piece of information that she is blackmailing her with.

“So what's it gonna be?” Evelyn asked, breaking the silence.

“Okay, fine! I'll meet you” aunt Viv sighed.

“That's my girl!” Evelyn exclaimed. “And don't forget to bring my money!”

“How much?” Aunt Viv asked.

“How ever much you think princess Zoë is worth! You have an hour until I change my mind” Evelyn said before the line ended.

“Was that the kidnappers?” Emma asked, alluding to the private call.

“Kidnappers?” Aunt Viv acted oblivious.

“I overhead you saying something about kidnap,” Emma confessed. “So, what'd they say? Do they want a ransom?”

“No. You must've misheard me. I wasn't talking to a kidnapper, shit we don't even know if Zoë was kidnapped for real” aunt Viv said. “I was uh… I was actually talking to her mother, my niece” she lied.

“Oh, my bad. Well, is she okay?” Emma asked.

“She's fine, and she also insisted that I call off all police involvement” aunt Viv lied again. “If Zoë was really taken, then we're gonna handle this matter in private. As a family!” She emphasized. “Thank you all for your help” she said, dismissing the crowd.

Emma didn't leave with the rest of the crowd. Instead, she stayed standing there, observing aunt Viv's body language.

“Vivian, my husband knows the chief of police. If there's something going on, you can trust me” Emma said.

“I appreciate the offer Emma, but I really have to get going” aunt Viv replied as she saw the police cars approaching from a nearby distance.

“Wait!” Emma stopped her. “Before you go, I think that you should at least provide the cops with a photo and a detailed description of Zoë.”