12.

____

THREE YEARS LATER

____

{A/N: For clarification, Skylar was born ONE day after Fatima's birthday. Whereas, Zoë was born TWO days after Fatima's birthday. }

•••

📍Cape Town, South Africa🇿🇦

▪︎ Aunt Viv's house ▪︎

"Hey Tima." Vivian said as she walked into the living room holding a small envelope. "I know that you're not fond of celebrating your birthday, but 21 is a big deal, baby!" She paused to observe her favorite niece's face because she knew that this has always been a sensitive topic for Fatima.

When she couldn't fully read the emotions on her face, she took that as a sign to keep going. "Tima, honestly, I think that you'll be doing a great disservice to Zoë if-

"Auntie, please don't!" Fatima said immediately, cutting her off before dismissing herself to the upstairs guest room.

Fatima's 21st birthday was coming up in no less than a week, and unlike most of her age mates, who look forward to this milestone of officially being deemed by society as a "woman." She couldn't care less because the last time she happily celebrated her birthday was when she turned 18. At the time, she regarded that night as arguably one of the best nights of her life. Well... that was until exactly two tragic weeks later when Zoë took her last breath. Ever since that tragic day, Fatima vowed to never celebrate her birthday because it just didn't make sense to her to celebrate during a period that is a constant reminder of her biggest heartache.

The mere mention of Zoë name was a very touchy and triggering subject for Fatima. Ever since she set foot in South Africa, she vowed never to mention her deceased child because it was just too painful for her. The last time she ever spoke of her was exactly three years ago when she abruptly showed up to her auntie's doorstep after her 19 hour long one-way flight from the USA.

Fatima made an impulse decision on the day of her daughter's burial. After her father gave her that check, it was like a light bulb went on for her. She didn't even hesitate as she swiftly packed a small suitcase with some minor necessities to sustain her ✨️new life✨️. The only thing that she decided to bring along from her 'old life' was the personalized Zoë embroidered blanket that Dr. Jones gifted her on the day that Zoë was born.

If you haven't already figured it out by now... Fatima Vashae Wilson is officially estranged. In fact, she has been for the past 3 years and counting...

-

-

-

▪︎ GUEST BEDROOM ▪︎

**Phonecall**

"Hey girl. Wassup?" Fatima spoke into the phone to her friend Luyanda, who goes by Lulu.

"Where are you??!" Lulu asked in a frantic tone.

"I told you that I was going to my auntie's," Fatima replied nonchalantly with a chuckle. "Why do you sound like you're panicking?" She asked.