-28-

ღ𝓘𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓽𝓱𝔂𝓲𝓪'𝓼 𝓟𝓞𝓥ღ

ღ𝓘𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓽𝓱𝔂𝓲𝓪'𝓼 𝓟𝓞𝓥ღ

"How's the little one doing? I miss you both so much," Havier said to me on the phone, a smile plastered over his face.

Turns out, Havier was so overjoyed to be having another Vasudevan on the way.

"Good. I'm just hungrier than usual and a but restless, but the doctor said it's all part of the first trimester," I shrugged, my hand moving down to my belly.

"Ah, thank goodness. I'll send you another hamper of snacks or whatever the hell you need for our baby." He adjusted his tie, clearly in the office.

"Hmm. So have you found out who sent the flowers?" I asked him after a whole week.

"Overnight actually. I don't want to stress you out about who it is, but just know that I'm dealing with it." He assured me as I pursed my lips together.

"Are they close to you?"

"Very close, actually. I don't know how they found out, but they're regretting the day they were born." I breathed out slowly, clutching my knee gently.

"Okay. My next baby appointment is next week Friday. Are you able to join me?" I tilted my head with a slow smile.

"I really wish I could. The bank is having a fucking crisis with the fluctuating interest rates, it's quickly getting out of hand. So I need to fly out to Abu Dhabi for a board meeting."

Now that I looked at him, he looked quite stressed and tired. His eyes had some dark circles and his hair was extremely dishevelled.

I just wanted to give him one big hug and remove the burden from his shoulders.

"It's okay. I'll go with Celine then let you know how it goes," my smile didn't waver as I stared at the man I had impulsively started a family with.

"Good. Dr. Crown will take good care of you, I promise."

The day went by in a blur, full of therapy sessions and lunch with my acquaintances in the garden. I'd forgotten how important it was to take time to sit in the garden and catch up with everyone around me.

They needed a therapist and I usually gave my employees free sessions over some comfort food. It motivated them and helped them offload the burden on their shoulders. I could tell a disturbed employee from afar, and I always sensed the shifts in energy around me.

I stopped by my usual café for a warm drink. Winter was kicking in and I wanted to make sure I was warm enough for the baby.

I squealed when I accidentally bumped into someone, making my hot chocolate spill on the floor. It was Daniel, one of Havier's guards.

"Oh, hey Daniel." We didn't talk much but he was really friendly. And good looking.

"Hey. I'm sorry, I was just looking out for you, protocol. I'll get you another one, it's on me." He gave me a dazzling smile that could have made any girl fall to her knees.

"That's really sweet, thank you." He pulled a chair back for me to sit and I smiled before pulling my ringing phone out.

"Hey mama, how's your day going?" It was Celine and she made it a point to check on me and the baby every hour.

"It's going great. I'm going to be Netflix and chilling tonight, I've been working all day." I sighed heavily.

"You shouldn't be working too much Lith,"

"It's just the first trimester, she said I can carry on as usual. But I need to stay away from seafood, ugh." I complained and she laughed.

"Yes you need to, it's not safe for little Illithyia or little Havier. But anyway, I'm swinging by later tonight with snacks." She sang the sentence, which made me giggle.

"Great. I'll see you soon." I cut the call only to realise that a posh, elegant woman was sitting across me at the table.

Claire.

"Illithyia, such a pleasure to see you around," she removed her glasses slowly, her emerald eyes focusing on me intently.

They were almost venomous and an unsettling shiver cruised down my spine.

"Indeed. It's been a while," I tilted my head, concealing any emotion.

"Ah, of course. I'm sure you've been very very busy with a special someone," she eyed my stomach and that's when it dawned on me. She had been sitting here through my entire phone call.

"Uhm—"

"How rude of me though, congratulations. The first child is always such a blessing," she ranted on, but I could smell the damger from afar.

That's what you get for messing with a married man, Illithyia. It was a stupid thing to do.

"You look quite anxious. Is something wrong?" She feigned interest as I faked another smile, tilting my head.

"No, nothing. It's just, pregnancy blues and all," I waved my hand dismissively, but that seemed to capture her attention more.

"I know you're carrying a Vasudevan, dear." She said calmly as though she was simply announcing something so mundane, like the weather.

"Since when is my business your business?" I asked in an equally composed voice, refusing to be belittled by her.

"When it concerns my husband, it is my business. Now I didn't think you were such a foolish girl, giving your body away to a man who comes back home to his wife and daughter. Didn't your stepfather discipline you enough not to open your legs? You don't mind if I give him a call, let him know what his worthless stepdaughter is up to?"

My body chilled further when she mentioned my stepfather. That abusive, heartless tyrant. He had destroyed my childhood without thinking twice.

I had run far far away from him, never to return. After he murdered my mother in her sleep. I would never go back to that life. Ever. I almost shuddered at the cruel memories, the cold and hungry nights, the pain that I endured from his whip, the pain of his harsh words.

How had she known? I had buried my past deep down in hell but it seems she came straight from there with my past neatly folded in her bag.

"You have absolutely no right to speak to me that way, Claire. Know your place." I barely reacted to her statement despite the simmering anger beneath my skin. I wouldn't back down.

It was obviously agitating her. She was provoking me in hopes of a reaction, but it never worked that way with me.

"Ha, well, seems you really do have a smart mouth. That's something he loves about you, isn't it?" She looked bitter and envious as I gave her a sweet smile.

"He loves everything about me, actually." I simply said, my expression nonchalant as I checked my watch, "anyways, Claire. As much as I'd love to chit-chat, I have somewhere to be."

"I want you to stay away from Havier, or else there will be trouble. Do not test the waters." She gave me another serious glare that could have killed me on the spot.

"As you wish. Oh! And fun fact, Claire. I am the water." I took a long sip from the hot chocolate that Daniel had handed to me a few seconds ago, before sauntering out of the café.