17: Breaking and Entering

(WARNING: EPIC FEELS)

Bonnie's POV

Bonnie sat on her bed, thinking about what they would all be doing in the matter of a few hours. Breaking back into their school. It seemed unthinkable, since she thought it was the weekend, so it would be easier—and harder in a different way.

She thought about the mountain again. She remembered the time that Freddy had grown his wings. It wasn't that she was amazed by, but rather the event that followed it. She almost laughed, as the event had absolutely nothing to do with Freddy.

Foxy had told her. He had told her about his loss as a young child. She knew about the fact that he had a loss, but she didn't know the exact details of the loss. Now, she knew the heartbreaking details.

(Foxy's FLASHBACK)

A 9-year-old Foxy laughed as a large mass of fur slammed into his chest. Foxy squealed with joy as he was knocked off of his knees and to the ground. The dog got up on top of him and licked his face aggressively. Foxy whipped his head to the sides, a grin spreading across his face.

"Stop it, Mangle!" he laughed as the white beagle with pink dots sprinkled across the surface of its fur pattered Foxy's face with its tongue.

Foxy pushed the dog off of him and stumbled to his feet, holding up a neon green tennis ball. Mangle jumped up and down with glee, spinning around and looking at the ball with sparkly eyes.

"You want the ball, Mangle? You want the ball?" Foxy grinned as he turned around toward the street. With a small chuck, the ball went airborne. He called out to Mangle as the dog scuttled across the street, "Go geddit!"

The ball bounced excitedly as it bounced into the curb on the other side. Mangle took the ball up into his mouth and looked back at Foxy excitedly.

"Good boy, Mangle! That's a good boy!"

Mangle trotted toward Foxy, the ball lodged in its mouth. The beagle excitedly made its way across the street.

Everything changed in that moment.

As a large truck came barreling in from the side, Foxy screamed, "MANGLE, RUN!"

The clueless dog looked up at the large truck as it approached faster and faster. Foxy could only watch with fear and clawing helplessness as the wheel slammed into the dog's backside. Foxy's heart clenched as the dog released a loud yip! and was launched forward toward Foxy, landing on the street. The dog could be seen breathing, but barely.

"MANGLE!" Foxy screamed, hot tears ready to come out of his eyes. The young boy ran to Mangle's aid, watching with horror as the tennis ball dropped lazily out of the dog's mouth.

Foxy now had tears streaming down his face, sobs wrenching from his throat.

"You're gonna be okay, Mangle, I promise," he said to the near-dead beagle. The dog's eyes were half closed. Foxy looked at its backside and found that its leg was nearly fully covered in blood. He sobbed again, looking with great pain at the dog.

"Mangle, please, stay alive! Please!" begged Foxy. He flipped through all the memories of Mangle he had as a kid, playing with him, and even the day he had first gotten the dog at the pet store.

"That one has pink spots on his fur!" he had said happily, staring into the beagle's shining brown eyes. "I want him to play with!"

But now, he watched as his dog was nearing his demise. Foxy wanted him to stay alive. This dog was one of his best friends, but to be gone . . . Foxy didn't want to think about it. A life without his sweet beagle.

A part of him just wanted the dog to be dead. For it to stop suffering. Foxy held the dog in his arms and watched with horror as his eyes glossed over and the small rise and fall of the dog's chest was no more.

*****

(Back to Bonnie)

A part of Bonnie didn't want that memory to be shared with her. The pained look in Foxy's eyes showed to the fullest that was in fact a painful experience. With the thought of holding a dead dog in her arms, Bonnie put her head into her arms.

She hoped she wouldn't think about the horrible memory ever again.

*****

Everyone met at the school. Bonnie wondered what Freddy had done. He couldn't have gone home, as his mother already knew he had died. But to see her own son alive again would overwhelm her. Bonnie thought about being in Freddy's mother's shoes. After only one second of thought, she stopped.

"How will we get in?" Chica asked, grabbing one of the door handles. "It's locked."

Bonnie raised a hand, letting power seep out and orbit her fingers and her palm. "Foxy and I could—"

Freddy jumped in between her and the door, causing Bonnie to draw the power back in. Freddy reached into his pocket and pulled out something that caused Bonnie's memory to flash in her mind.

Between Freddy's thumb and his index finger was a shiny silver key.

"You still have that?" Foxy asked with amazement.

Freddy nodded, turning to the door and working at the lock with the key. After a few seconds of rattling, Freddy's wrist turned and the door swung open as he pulled it.

Ben walked through the door, turning to face everyone. "Perfect," he said. "Hopefully with that key we can get into Room 13."

Bonnie stepped into the empty school as well. "We can. That key was once the Janitor's key . . ." Her mind backtracked. "Wait, how do you know about Room 13?"

"Oh . . ." Ben looked down at the ground. "I had some siblings who went to this school. They told me all about the mysteries, but I think I know more about it than them."

Freddy nodded. "Seems reasonable." Freddy then followed Bonnie into the school. Their footsteps echoed through the silent walls of the school.

Bonnie pointed down the hall to Room 13. "Down there, right?" she asked.

Freddy nodded, walking past her swiftly. Bonnie suddenly noticed that he was slightly different from when she saw him before he had died. His skin was a little bit darker and his curly brown hair was a lighter brown than it used to be. Not to mention his wrists were tighter than usual. Bonnie could have grabbed his wrist and her fingers and thumb would easily overlap. How much had he actually changed?

She also noticed something else. "Freddy," she asked. Freddy looked back at her. She suddenly noticed that his eyes were a lighter shade of blue than they usually were. She hesitated slightly before continuing."Where are your wings?"

Freddy laughed, with mirth. "Oh, right. I didn't expect them to hang around all day either, but it turns out I can retract them and grow them out again. Weird, huh?"

Bonnie smiled and nodded. She opened her mouth to speak, the slightest inch of voice leaving her lips, but she felt a stern arm on hers. Her instinct was to pull away and punch the opponent in the face, but she let her anger simmer. Then, she felt herself be yanked backward as a voice that sounded like Foxy's whispered, "The Janitor is here."

Bonnie shook as she looked up. To her dismay, there stood the Janitor, cleaning up a mess in a hallway not too far away from the group.

(Be sure to vote, comment, and if you please, follow! Love you all!)