Ch. 5- Is Someone Stalking?

As soon as I finished the last page of the first book of Crescent City, the bakery called to let me know that my cake was ready. My heart still yearned for the second novel, so I grabbed the sequel, Crescent City 2 from my bag and took it with me to dinner.

My dinner reservation was set for 9:30 PM at the most expensive restaurant in the hotel, named Oasis of Caelus, a three Michelin-starred chain restaurant in all Caelus chains. I decided to pamper myself with luxury on my birthday, despite my budget concerns. Oasis was renowned for its extravagant food, far exceeding what I would typically spend. This hotel did not allow outside guests to dine there, and even if it did, the local dining scene in Como offered more budget-friendly options than Caelus's in-house restaurants.

The restaurant was situated on the top floor of the palace, spanning the entire upper level of the building. One side of the restaurant abutted the rocky hill behind the establishment. Half of the restaurant was sheltered beneath the hotel's roof, while the other half opened onto a patio. The vast sky stretched above us, illuminated by the brilliant moonlight, casting its glow over the entire floor. The sound of small waves lapping against the lake's edge and the distant hills completed this surreal tableau, making it almost unbelievable that such a view could exist.

No painter could ever hope to capture such a magnificent scene. A few other patrons were seated across from me in complete darkness. The restaurant manager had graciously arranged for me to have a seat by the railing, blessing me with the perfect view. A few lights above my table twinkled softly, it was the fairy lights, dangling over my head in criss-cross patterns. The fairy lights were unnecessary as the whole area was already illuminated with moonlight.

I placed my order, selecting bruschetta with the freshest mozzarella and a delightful Caprese salad as my appetizers. For the main course, I chose Como's local bread, accompanied by butter mixed with white caviar and a delectable risotto paired with Persico fish fillet and crispy fish skin. As much as I adored veal, I was already quite full.

"Would you like to order some fresh gelato, madam?" the waiter asked after I finished my last bite of risotto

"No, I have an order for a cake from the bakery. Will you check whether it arrived or not?" I asked him.

"Sure, do you want me to bring it up to you if it is here?" he asked.

I nodded in agreement. Although I had brought my book with me, the idea of reading a Sarah J. Maas novel in the soft moonlight, while undoubtedly romantic, seemed impractical. I didn't want to strain my eyes in the darkness.

While waiting for my cake, I indulged in the breathtaking sights around me. At that moment, I forgot who I was and where I came from. Lake Como was enchanting, living up to every bit of its hype. I believe that everyone should experience this place at least once in their lives.

Then, an eerie sensation washed over me, as if someone were watching me. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end in anticipation.

I scanned my surroundings, but no one appeared to be paying any attention to me. All those men, seated far away, were engaged in their chitchats. Maybe, I was being overly cautious lately.