Ch. 24- 2 a.m. Dinner at the Volkner Château

Ju escorted me and Nina to her nearby apartment. After a quick shower and a blow-dry for my hair, I changed into a deep blue georgette dress adorned with small star crystals all over it.

"You intentionally gave me this dress, didn't you?" I asked her.

"Nothing else will fit your body now," she admitted with a sly grin.

I looked like a deity of the night sky. Was this the dress I was wearing to meet the Volkners officially?

Not bad.

---------------------------------------------

After traveling for almost half an hour, we reached a gate that looked like it came from a Disney movie.

The big iron gates had "Volkner" embedded in them, along with Volkner's emblem and multiple small emblems on every iron rod.

The car drove through between tall, bushy hedges. For 5 minutes straight, I could only see the car lights illuminating the hedges until it entered a road that split a big field in half.

At the end of that field stood a palace that resembled the château of Versailles. My jaw dropped at the view before me; the palace looked like a fairytale at night. Assessing the length of the road in front of our car, it seemed almost a kilometer long. A large water fountain stood in the middle, spewing water and glittering like starlight.

 A large water fountain stood in the middle, spewing water and glittering like starlight

Our car crossed the fountain, creating a mini half-roundabout, and then reached the house. Two butlers descended the stairs, opening the door of our Rolls Royce.

Stepping out, I held my hem upward, and Nina joined me.

A faint hymn of music filled the air, someone playing opera songs.

Guided by the butlers, we entered the house. I was surprised to find that the château was smaller than I had imagined or assessed.

After passing through a few closed doors and a hallway, we entered a spacious living room. Royce was watching TV behind a kitchen counter, and Maria was setting the table by herself. They were wearing the same clothes I saw them in at the office. Then the oven made a noise, and Royce put on a glove, bringing out a large baking dish.

The enticing aroma of oregano and tomato filled the air.

"Kay!" Maria joyfully greeted me from her table and walked over to hug me as if we had known each other for ages. Royce smiled at me from a distance, taking the baking dish to the table.

"Rhys told me you absolutely loved Italian food, so I brought some from a restaurant nearby..." She grabbed my hand and led me to the table.

"....but, I can tell you my cooking is better than Dante's." She added.

"Uncle Dante will disagree," Nina chimed in.

"He will riot against you," Royce added as he took his seat at the head of the table. Maria sat in front of me, and Nina settled beside her.