Ch. 10- Welcome to The Hotel Caelus, Paris HQ

The stalking had stopped as suddenly as it had begun, and Julia had indeed kept her promise to ensure my safety. However, she never revealed whether it was the Volkners who had been behind it, likely due to her connection with Maria, who was also the stepmother of her employer.

I could not help but feel remorseful for the threat I had made over the phone, but perhaps it had played a role in capturing Maria Volkner's interest in me. Regardless, I had reached a point where I no longer cared about the details.

Months passed, and life returned to normal. I continued to grow closer to Julia with each passing day. We made plans for vacations, but our busy schedules often got in the way.

I began saving money for my next trip, dreaming of visiting France, specifically Paris. Curious about the cost of hotel rooms in France, I visited the Hotel Caelus website to explore my options.

The prices for hotel rooms in Paris were staggering, starting at a minimum of 10,000 euros per night—almost twice my monthly salary. I couldn't help but burst into hysterical laughter when I saw the exorbitant rates. If the Lake Como hotel had seemed expensive, this Parisian luxury was in a league of its own. From the interior photos, it appeared to be a castle even grander than the one in Como.

I could never afford it. Nor could I ever enter that place.

Then I realized why the price was so astronomical. The hotel in Paris was a 7-star establishment, whereas the one in Como had a 5-star rating. Additionally, France served as the main headquarters of the Hotel Caelus chain, which explained the premium pricing. I shared this revelation with Julia, and she explained that the Parisian hotel was almost always fully booked due to its popularity among wealthy patrons. While Lake Como offered quieter and more affordable options, the Parisian hotel was something out of a fairy tale. We giggled throughout the night about this stark contrast. Julia playfully suggested that I write another piece of "Peasant Literature" to Maria or Rhys Volkner in the hopes of securing a few days' stay at their luxurious hotel. I jokingly agreed, as long as it meant free breakfast at the hotel every day.

We laughed at our poverty, we laughed at our rich taste in luxury.

I may not have been able to afford a stay there, but I promised Julia that I would at least stand in front of the building once and take a selfie. She could then send it to the Volkners, just for fun..

-----------------------------------------------------------

I booked my trip to Paris for the second week of August. Instead of staying in a hotel, I opted for a more budget-friendly option by booking a cheaper Airbnb. Knowing that I was planning to indulge in some extravagant shopping, I wanted to save on accommodation costs.

On the first day of August, I received a call from someone named Amanda. 

She informed me that I had been selected as the lucky winner of a 100,000-euro award from the Hotel Caelus group.

"I don't believe you; I didn't participate in such things," I spoke.

"Well, Mam. We arrange this type of lottery prize every year for our customers who stay in any of our hotels. This year, it was you, whose name came in the random lottery. Luckily."

Oh my God, she sounded so fake.

"How will I know you are not lying?" I asked.

"Well, a parcel will reach out to you within 3-5 business days. It will have all the information on how you can spend the money in one of our establishments." She added from the other end of the phone.