Ch. 32- Anubiah's Political Issues Explained

Am I toxic?

That thought had been haunting me since my first encounter with Prince Naseer that morning.

After my heated argument with Rhys, I retreated to my grand suite and promptly ordered three pizzas from the kitchen—a Margherita, a Mushroom white sauce, and a Beef Bolognese. My plan? To devour them all.

Nina barged into my suite after lunch, catching me red-handed with my second pizza slice.

"Stress eating?" she asked, a half-smile playing on her lips. I wanted to snap at her, but Nina had been nothing but kind. Instead, I stood up, washed my hands in the wet room, and returned her dress and earrings.

Nina shook her head, refusing to take her belongings back. "Keep them," she said.

"But why?" I questioned, genuinely confused.

"Consider them your homecoming gifts or gifts from meeting the Volkners," she suggested, attempting to lighten the mood. My response was a bitter sneer.

"Why didn't you stop Rhys yesterday?" I challenged her.

"Girl, you put on quite a show, baby! You..." she started, her words trailing off.

"Shut up, Nina, please," I warned, my patience hanging by a thread.

Nina looked guilty as she tried to contain a smile erupting from her lips. She knew she was guilty.

I stared at my pizza slice in hand, and then it hit me—I needed to speak with Naseer directly. I had to find out what Rhys had said to him about me.

"Where are you going?" Nina asked as I left my half-eaten pizzas on the bed and headed for the door of my suite. I turned to her and inquired,

"Where's Naseer?"

Nina shrugged. "I don't know, Naseer, Rhys, and Marco are always together whenever we're at the house, hanging out."

"Why haven't I seen him here in the house before?" I questioned.

"He was in Zurich. He just returned today."

"He lives in Switzerland too?" I asked cautiously, needing to understand his role in this mess.

"No, he primarily lives in the USA with his mother. But he was in Zurich to negotiate with NATO about his country's political status. He wants Anubiah back," Nina explained with concern in her voice.

What?

"So, he's the one who's been pressuring Rhys? He's the one who pushed Rhys to declare war against everyone?" I asked, my voice filled with anger.

Nina was taken aback by the change in my tone.

"It's his birthright! You have no idea what you're talking about, Kay! Don't blame Nas or Rhys," she pleaded.

"Then tell me! Explain it to me! I'm stuck in this mess against my will and completely in the dark about everything! Everyone's just giving me breadcrumbs of information, and nobody's telling me anything properly! Everyone's more concerned about my feelings for Rhys! Has anyone even asked me what I want?!" I almost shouted at Nina, my frustration evident.

Nina gave me a concerned look, rose from my bed, walked over to me, gently grabbed my arm, and said, "Let's go."

______________________________________

"Nas?"

Nina called out to him as we stood at the open bar in one of the estate's gardens, surrounded by the lingering scent of unknown flowers.