Ch. 34- Crossing the Threshold.

"Are you going to wear that jacket over your dress?" 

Royce asked me curiously. My ears turned warm and red; I could feel it.

Maria cleared her throat a bit louder than usual to withdraw the attention from my outfit.

"I'm not done getting ready yet," I mumbled, trying to hide the fact that I had opted to wear something extremely revealing and seductive to annoy Rhys Sameer Volkner at the party. My makeshift jacket concealed my overexposed décolletage from my so-called boyfriend's trillionaire parents, at least preserving some semblance of modesty.

Royce gave me a weird expression after hearing my explanation. He and Maria had summoned me to Maria's office on the 6th floor before the party started. Maria wore a black bodycon gown bedazzled with black Swarovski crystals, her blond hair in messy curls complementing her bangs. Royce wore a black shirt and black suit.

They looked perfectly beautiful and lovely. My heart warmed at the sight of them when I entered the office.

"I'm sorry to say that Rita and her husband have arrived. I'm sure she's here to make a scene," Royce exclaimed, and Maria sighed in response.

"Maria already told me," I admitted.

"Tell me you have a plan to stay far away from her nonsense. I don't want anyone to know that my own sister will do anything to destroy us," Royce pleaded, panic evident in his voice.

I panicked as well at his query and glanced at Maria for validation. Her beautiful grey eyes looked like they might pop out of her sockets.

I shook my head negatively in response to Royce's question.

"Jas will try to tell his mother that I've agreed to fund his robotic company only if you work with him as his supervisor. He's over the moon with this news. She'll come and try to talk to you to get you out of this..."

"Excuse me, sir, what?!" 

My expression must have resembled seeing a ghost, which worried both Royce and Maria.

"Why... you don't like this idea?" Royce almost stammered, turning to Maria.

"You didn't tell her?" He asked his wife, while Maria started scratching her head, avoiding eye contact.

I burst out laughing hysterically at his proposal, my laughter tinged with a funny clattering noise, confusing the couple.

"What's so funny?" Royce asked with a mix of worry and confusion.

"You think I, Kaya, a doctor with zero knowledge of business and only 18 hours of beginner knowledge of robotics, will run a robotics company?" I yelled incredulously.

Maria and Royce exchanged confused glances.

"Yeah, you'll be the president," Maria casually expressed.

I burst out laughing again, my laughter echoing in their spacious office.

But Maria and Royce still looked puzzled.

"I know no shit about neither business nor robotics."

"Yeah, your people will work. Your directors and executives will work and...." Royce wanted to explain some more, but I raised my hand to stop him.

"Listen, I really appreciate your offers, but... I'm good. Thanks," I replied, and I walked away from their office without giving them another chance to explain themselves or ruining my mood for the party. I had never attended a party this lavish in my life, and I had zero intention of ruining Royce and Ralf's birthday as well.