4-Kamille

I don't know how long I stood here in my father's office. Brother's arguing about some strategy that could help fight against Killick. Other's countering those strategies and claim we should give up. The same argument we have been having these past two days since the invasion. We were never going to win against Killick. Not with them arguing rather than figuring things out. Why I was required to be here when I offered no help or understood what was going on. Was entirely beyond me since they once thought I was just a frail girl needing protection. Something in me told me that this mess father had dragged us into was getting worse. That father was not the man I believed him to be. That I should have gone after Killick and begged him to take me away. However the girl my disgusting father raised was not that type of person. I needed to stay calm and think like the well-disciplined daughter I was raised to be. I could faintly hear the raised and angry filled voices of my brother's behind me. Eavesdropping into their conversation a bit, even if it wasn't really eavesdropping. Considering that I really hadn't left the room.

'A lady must choose her battles wisely with words. As to not look like a fool in front of others.' My father's words floated to the front of my mind from the past. I used to be outspoken when it came to expressing my feelings. Though those days were short-lived, he made sure of it. Beating me down mentally and sometimes physically. Thankfully he hasn't laid a hand on me in years. The fear is still there unfortunately and I'm sure father wouldn't hesitate to lift his hand again. Taking a deep breath as I started to feel that I was not needed in the room. They were too busy arguing with each other anyway so I began to walk towards the door. After two steps I noticed the silence of the room suddenly.

"Kam?" Max spoke up questioning on where I was going.

"I'm tired. I just want to go up to my room and sleep. I don't even want to attempt to unpack everything that was said tonight. At least not yet." I sighed out and looked to Max. It was the truth but our father apparently didn't approve of my decision for he got angry.

"How dare you, you ungrateful child!" Flicking my icy silver gaze to our father exasperated at his ever changing moods.

"What do you mean ungrateful?" I asked my own anger growing. "You taught me to choose my battles did you not? Because that is what I am doing, choosing my battle. That man holds himself high, as he walks authority radiates off him. We cannot defeat him if he managed to get into the party the other night. You even coward at his feet. Out of all your teachings father, I'm using them to my advantage. I'll see how this plays out simply because I want to see this so called hole you have dug us all into. Then I'll decide if it's worth throwing myself in front of harm's way for you." My tone cold and cruel. I hated being this kind of person he so desires me to be. I was kind and gentle at one point of my life. Now all that was left was a cold empty shell that was forced to be his doll. It was only fair that he got a taste of his own doing every once in a while.

Waiting patiently for a response, when none came I politely excused myself for the remainder of the night. Back in my room I freed myself from the restricting dress and left it in a pile on the floor. Taking a shower to wash away the nights events before just standing under the spray of water. Waiting until my fingers and toes became pruned to finally get out. Towel drying my hair after drying off and getting dressed into more comfortable clothing. Choosing to sit on a cushioned bench that was situated under a bay window. My favorite place to sit for it overlooked the garden. The same garden that my mother used to look over diligently. Memories of her in messy clothing as she labored on the ground. Making sure the plants had healthy soil and free from weeds and over growth. Smiling while telling me names of flowers that now elude me. Memories of her chasing me around the maze hedges surrounding the garden. However one specific memory was hazy.

I remember my mother in the garden with a visitor and another kid. I could never recall the name of the child. But they had the brightest red colored hair I have ever seen and bright blue eyes that sparkled in the light. We played and ate oranges until it was time for them to leave. Unfortunately that was the last time we had a visitor and the last time mother was full of life. Blinking a couple times as I stared at the nearly colorless garden. Don't get me wrong the garden was still beautiful. It just wasn't the same as many of the flowers had been replaced and others hadn't bloomed the same. It was as if the life of the garden was dying out. The same way the life in my mother died before the tragic night of her death. Wondering if she felt alone and cold the night she was found in the garden. Max was the one to find her, since then he made sure to stick to my side. Making sure I was protected and kept away from anything violent. A knock drew me out of my mind as a maid walked in. Holding a tray of tea and biscuits. Watching as she hurried in to set the tray down before taking her leave. Eyeing the tray as I knew it was a peace offering from my father. Sighing I left it there and refocused back to the garden. Wishing to lose myself to fond memories of the good times.