13-Ezra

The pack house was buzzing with anxiousness for multiple reasons. Mainly because everyone was itching to go on a run. All but one, Kamille. She was still asleep after her first shift. Which was a week ago. I sat with uneasiness at the thought of her never waking up. Not that I would admit it or address my concerns. This unease I felt was deeper than that of an Alpha worried of their pack. I cared for my pack sure, but not to this extent. This was a bit excessive for someone that couldn't be mine.

'Rei can you please calm down. You're making it harder to hide any emotion. She'll wake up soon I'm sure of it.' Trying to ease my wolf. Hoping that would ease my own anxiousness. Rei just whined and continued to pace in my mind. 'Rei she isn't our mate we must let her go.'

However my words wouldn't reach him. Maybe moving around doing something, anything, could help. Rei wasn't letting me get any work done for the remaining time. Pacing around the office feeling like a caged animal. Making my condition worse. Striding to the door flinging it open. Finding myself at Kamille's door. Entering quietly as if my presence would disturb her slumber. Standing at her side watching her sleep. Goddess this was toeing the creeper line. Tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. Lightly brushing against her cheek in the process. Feeling the familiar shock that I had grown to enjoy. Closing my eyes as I allowed myself to feel the calmness. Washing over me as if I was never anxious to begin with. Snapping back to my senses I pulled my hand back. Just in time for Liz to open the door with Will closely behind her.

"Good to see you again doc." I greeted with a smile. Liz on the other hand gave me a questioning look. The same look she has been giving me since she cornered me about Kamille.

"Well, it looks like I got everything covered until you and the others return Alpha. Go and enjoy yourself. You deserve it after this past month." Will remarked. I refused to leave Kamille's side however. The idea of leaving her here was foreign in my mind. What if she woke up? What if I wasn't here when she did? What if something happens while I'm away? What if I lost her before I ever got to enjoy her company one last time? Thoughts flooding my mind making it hard to concentrate.

"Ez? Are you alright?" Liz's voice bringing me back to the present.

"Huh? Sorry just a little spacey. Can't wait to get outside, feeling a little like a caged beast here." Briskly walking out of the room so not to raise any more questions. I was already acting out of character.

"Hey, what was that about?" Liz asked when she caught up to me outside. Shrugging I stretched a bit. Preparing to let Rei fully take over. Closing my eyes as I shifted into my wolf. Accepting the shift helps it go faster and painlessly. Re-opening my eyes to see my pack sitting patiently waiting for my signal. Feeling Liz rub herself just under my neck. A sign of respect and submission.

"I worry about you Ez." She spoke through the pack bond. Huffing I bolted out past everyone into the woods. Dodging and leaping over fallen trees. Using the run as an excuse to relieve myself of all emotions. Liz managed to catch up and ran alongside me. The others close behind but struggling to keep up. Liz was the only female I allowed to run beside me. Now it felt weird to have her here and not Kamille. Digging paws into the earth beneath me. Pushing myself to not think but feel. To feel the nature around me. To allow myself the freedom I didn't deserve. While Kamille was stuck at home without said freedom.

Another two weeks past with Zen turning eighteen. Turns out that Kamille's birthday was actually the day before Zen's. Meaning she had shifted prematurely due to stress of some kind. That had me even more on edge with her still in her coma state. Days continued to pass as I watched the new members of the pack settle in nicely. Getting along with others and taking to their new routine of school, training and patrols. Developing trust among their peers, forming friendships. Some also finding their mates not long after. When Kamille had finally woke up I was the first to her side. I was out doing errands when I received the phone call. Having forgotten what I was doing as I rushed home in wolf form. Bursting through her bedroom door to see her sitting up in bed. Laughing with Zack and Will. Silver-blue eyes flicking to me with a smile.

Since then I made the effort to treat her more kindly. Keeping her close to me when I could. Given that I had been in my male form it was easy. Even when I wasn't, Kamille didn't seemed to stray too far. Enjoying the attention I gave her in both forms. I was currently watching Zen chase Liz and Kamille around the yard in a little game of tag. Zen and Liz may not have announced it yet. But I could see that they were mates with how close they had gotten. I was honestly happy for them. Liz needed someone for her own and someone who can give her attention. Liz still tried to step in to keep unwanted attention away from me. Which didn't bother me too much as long as Kamille wasn't around. However even I could see it causing Zen some discomfort. So I limited mine and Liz's interactions which seemed to please him. Sighing I pushed myself away from the wall I was leaning up against. Heading into the kitchen.

"Too much sun?" Zack asked not bothering to put his book down.

"No I figured they would be fine for now without me watching." Taking a seat next to him at the island.

"How are you feeling." He stated more than asked after a bit of silence between us.

"About?" Picking at the fruit bowl that was nearby. Knowing exactly where this conversation was heading. I also wasn't going to stay for an intervention.

"You know what I am talking about Ezra." Mentally sighing as he wasn't going to let it go.

"Zack I was only doing my job as Alpha it doesn't mean anything. I'm just glad she's finally awake." Gazing to him to see he had put his book down. Facing me with his full attention.

"You practically bear-hugged the poor girl. For much longer than five minutes. How does that not mean anything?" We both became quiet when Kamille walked in to grab water bottles from the fridge. Smiling at her. Taking this chance to leave the conversation. Getting out of whatever this was.

"I should get back to work. Keep an eye on them for me Zack." Calling over my shoulder. Hearing him grumble then picked his book back up. Back in my office I busied myself with work. Not really wanting to be left alone with my thoughts. Work seemed to keep me distracted long enough. Engulfed in my work I missed the knock on the door until Kamille opened it.

"Sorry to intrude Alpha, but I was a bit worried about you." Kamille began as she stood in the doorway. My heart tighten at hearing her concern. Waving her in as I closed my laptop. Seeing that she closed the door assuming she wanted privacy.

"Don't apologize, what can I do for you?" Rubbing my neck just to keep my hands moving. My gaze raising to meet Kamille's as she lightly touched my shoulder. I hadn't heard her move or noticed she closed the distance between us.

"Are you okay Alpha?" I hadn't meant to flinch away. I did it unconsciously out of habit. The hurt was there for a second but I couldn't let myself get carried away with it.

"Yes miss Lovelace. If that is all you came to ask then I must tell you to please leave. I don't have time for playing around today. I need to catch up on all the work I missed before it gets late." Opening my laptop again and began typing away only to stop again.

"Sorry to be a bother, I'll take my leave now." I watched as she walked out of my office with a soft click. Groaning I hung my head in my hands.

'That was a bit harsh don't you think pup?' Rei chimed in. It was but I couldn't hold my tongue either.

'I have had enough of your emotional rollercoaster Rei. First not only did you keep quiet about what she was doing. But you left me alone for two whole years to figure shit out myself. Now all of a sudden you are talkative about a random person. That we have no connection to besides the fact I have to keep her safe. Kamille isn't our mate Rei, let this ridiculous notion that we have to be by her side twenty-four/seven go. Please just tell me what I need to do to correct this.' But I was met with silence from him. Frustrating me more than what I have been going through.

Of all the times for Rei to shut up, it happened to be now. 'Fine. Don't tell me. Let me get through this so we can send her off to her mate. And finally be done with this stupidity of yours.' With a deep breath I resumed my work until dinner. Which I took in my office.