Six - Stitches

Out Of The Woods - Taylor Swift-

-

123 A.C

Saera stood by the bonfire with Jacaerys, who was holding her hand solemnly as he stared into the fire. They were supposed to be mourning their dead aunt, but the pair of twins were not. The eleven year olds knew who their true father was, and he was dead and they could not even dare cry for him. It could ruin their lives, it could ruin their mother. Jacaerys and Saera knew the truth of their parentage, they were Strong children but their mother swore that it did not matter. And the twins agreed to never tell a soul.

Saera was a smart girl and she had known there was something wrong with her, and perhaps the truth of who her father is was the answer. Perhaps she had too much Strong genes, and perhaps that is why her dragon never hatched and why she felt so out of place with the other Targaryen children.

She felt Jacaerys tense up besides her and when she looked up from the fire, their uncle Aemond was staring at them with a small smile. Saera smiled at him, but Jacaerys glared, an expression that caused the boy of three and ten to leave them alone.

Saera watched him leave, wondering why him and Jacaerys did not like each other.  And wondering why her uncle did not seem to like her all that much either, no matter how kind and nice Saera tried to be to him. She did not really remember ever being Aemond's friend, though she had always felt something within her that tied her to him. An invisible string perhaps.

Saera remained by Jace's side, staring at her boots all through the affair, until her mother came to them and ordered them to get to bed. Jacaerys took the order seriously, and was then dragging Lucerys and Saera up to their family's room.

Saera was helped to change into her nightgown by her mother's ladies in waiting, and then Jacaerys read her and Lucerys a book before tucking his sister into bed and leaving her alone in her chambers. Saera could barely sleep at all, and then she heard her cousin's voices. They were waking up her brothers, and Saera was tempted to go and see what it was all about but she decided against it. The girl closed her eyes and tried to find sleep, like her mother had ordered because she was a good girl.

But sleep never found her, much less when she heard screaming coming from somewhere in the High Tide castle. She sat up in bed and got her slippers, moving hurriedly out of her chambers and into the corridors. Guards were rushing all around, and the girl followed them into the Great Hall of High Tide where everyone was gathered around a screaming child on a chair.

Saera went down the stairs and moved through the people, curious to see what they were gawking at and why the Queen Alicent was crying uncontrollably. She gasped when she saw the bloody face of her uncle, Aemond. It was all she could stare at, his bloody face and the open wound on it. His eyeball was split in half through the middle, and oozing out of his socket.