Twenty One - The String That Pulls Me

invisible string - Taylor Swift

-
123 AC, One Moon After The Maiming Of  Prince Aemond Targaryen

Saera Velaryon could not understand how everyone acted as if nothing had happened at Driftmark. How no one seemed to care about what Lucerys had done to their uncle, Aemond. It had been a moon, one entire moon since the incident— and Saera still did not know anything of her uncle's health.

She did not dare ask Jacaerys, as she feared he would snap at her for talking of that night— and she did not dare ask her mother as she was just newly wed to her own uncle, Daemon, and she did not want to take away from her happiness. Saera felt as if she were going insane. No one talked about that night, no one seemed to care, it drove her to the brink of madness.

She did ask her Septa, but she skittishly told her that it was none of her business. She also asked one of her mother's older ladies, the one that always put her to bed— and she told Saera to not dig into matters thatw ere not her own.

Saera could not understand why they were acting so strange whenever she brought up Aemond, or Vhagar. She just wanted to know if he was okay, if his eye had healed. If it would ever. "Drink you tea, sweetling." Lady Joanya would urge her as she brushed Saera's head before bed, and Saera complied— drinking the honey tea entirely.

Joanya tucked her into bed, read her a tale and then left her to her own devices. Saera tried to find sleep, but she couldn't.

The memory of her uncle was more alive than ever in her mind. She needed to know how he was, needed to know if he was okay— happy now that he had a dragon. But how could she ever know? She thrashed and turned all night, until she heard the door to her chambers softly open and then close. "Sister."

Her twin brother's voice was soft, and Saera heard shuffling in the darkness— which made her sit up and squint her eyes, trying to make up his figure in the dark. "What is it now, Jacaerys?" Saera groaned as Jacaerys moved to light up one of the candelabras that adorned her chambers.

"I can not sleep. I figured you couldn't either." Jacaerys would say, and it was true. Their twin connection ran deep, what bothered her— bothered him. If one of them was restless, so was the other one— it had always been like that.

"You happen to be correct." Saera answered, giving Jacaerys a small smile once he lit up the candelabra in her room. He sighed and sat on the end of the bed, his eye looking at the corner of her room solemnly. "What bothers you, brother?" Saera asked quietly.

"I miss Ser Harwin. But I fear bringing him up around mother. She seems happy with Daemon." Jacaerys said sadly. Saera scooted closer to her twin and engulfed him in a tight hug. "And she deserves to be happy, Jacey."

"Jacey? You haven't called me that in years." The boy said with a small smile, then he took a deep breath. "We deserved to be happy too. We deserved to love our father." He said, his tone angry and sad all at the same time.