Twenty Four - What Was I Made For?

What Was I Made For? - Billie Eilish

-

Laying with Jacaerys would be her only duty.

Saera had never felt as empty as she did on that night, on the night that Jacaerys reminded her what she was made for— who she was made for—for him, to please him, to be his bride, to birth his children. She laid on the floor of her chambers without even bothering to move since he left, she had no energy to stand— to do anything. The tears flowed freely from her eyes, they were shed until she had no more within herself.

That was what Jacaerys did, take and take and take until he wore her down, until he made sure she had no more fight in her.

She used to be so sure of herself, of what she wanted, of her duties as a princess and Jacaerys' betrothed. She used to be content with her future, happy about it— but that was when she did not know true happiness, true love. She felt her heart had been split open by her own brother, by the man that instead should have safe kept it. In a sense, it was like she had been woken up to the reality of her situation.

But could she bow down? Could she leave Jacaerys? Ask her mother to end it? Would her mother listen to her? Would she be disappointed? Saera had always tried seeing the bright side to every situation, the gods knew how hard she tried, but there was no bright side in this instance.

If she chose to tell her mother her true feelings, she would betray her twin brother— her twin soul. No matter how much she detested Jacaerys'  treatment of her as of  late, he was her brother, her twin brother. She could not hurt Jacaerys.

If she chose to stay as she was, betrothed to Jacaerys, she would betray her self— her heart, her soul, her happiness. If she married Jace then she would resent it forever, because she did not want Jace— she wanted Aemond. Loved Aemond with all of her heart.

Saera felt the hours pass over her as she stared at the ceiling of her apartments, she knew she had to go to sleep— but she frankly could not, not when her mind was racing constantly, trying to decipher the equation that had her heart in a chokehold.

After hours of her not moving, she stood up suddenly and left her chambers. Allan was posted in her door as always, puzzled when he saw her exiting her rooms at that late of night.

"Princess?" he asked as he went after her. "Stay your hand, Allan. Please." she told him, and he did as he was asked with no contest. He already knew better than to challenge her when she was on a mood. Saera hurried down Maegor's Holdfast as quickly as she could and soon enough she was standing outside of Aemond's chambers, taking deep breaths to encourage herself.

After a few seconds she slowly opened the doors to Aemond's chambers, and she was met with a huge mess as she looked around the space. Saera gulped hard, her eyes shifting to Aemond who was sitting by the fireplace, his own eye fixed on the fire that burned before him.