Twenty Five - Betrayed

-

-

"You knew?!" Saera burst into Aemond's chambers, ignoring his guard's protests entirely. She was much too angry to think straight, much less think about protocol and her honor. Aemond was sitting on his desk, reading a scroll when she posed her interruption— he did not bother looking up at her. "Indeed." Was the stern sound that escaped his lips

It hurt. It was the first time she had seen him in days and yet he did not bother to look up at her, could not care enough to acknowledge her in the correct way. His eye simply skimmed over the parchment lazily, her presence a sheer nuisance for him— like she was nothing, like he could care less about her.

They planned to humiliate her mother and her brothers in front of the entire court. They planned to humiliate her. After everything she had given Aemond— her purity and love— he did not even care for her being? For her reputation? Saera was in sheer disbelief as she stood there. "Aemond! Please! Leave that scroll alone." to this she received no answer.

In a erratic manner, she stalked to his desk and snatched the scroll from his hands— crumpling it up into a ball and flicking it to his patched side in annoyance. "Acknowledge me." She demanded, and he simply clenched and unclenched his jaw— rage simmering below the surface at her audacity.

"Know what, dearest?" Aemond asked, leaning back in his seat with a nonchalant and unbothered expression on his face. Saera knew that he knew, he knew everything that happened in that godforsaken court.

"About the hearing... About Driftmark. About what that Vaemond is going to do." She could hardly believe her words, because she could hardly believe that Vaemond would disrespect her mother in that way. And she could not believe the Queen would allow for him to do such a thing, to humiliate her family in such a brazen and cruel manner.

"I did." Was all he answered, and it enraged her. She gave him everything, and he had simply discarded her as if she were nothing— treated her as if she were no one to him.

"You knew they planned to contest my brother's legitimacy in front of the court and you didn't care to tell me?!" Saera asked angrily, and she scarcely recognized herself. She was just seething, feeling betrayed— because she knew this was probably a long time brewing and yet Aemond had not uttered a thing, not even when they were in good terms.

"It is not of importance. Succession disputes happen all the time throughout the realm, it isn't anything to lose your mind about." Aemond replied in a monotone expressionless way, his one eye cold as it glazed over her frame in an almost tired manner. The shine in his eye that used to glimmer whenever she was close to him was gone, now what replaced it was sheer nothingness.

"It is something to lose my mind about! He is my brother! By questioning his legitimacy, they are questioning mine. It is an insult to myself and my family that your mother would even entertain this." Saera spat and Aemond almost wanted to laugh. She was no longer his problem, he made that clear— by choosing Jacaerys, she chose his coldness.