Alicia's Cunning

The days passed so fast as winter was getting closer. David the treecko and Ryo the Riolu did many low rank missions happily together until the end of the week. They were pleased that Renard was not around to treat them like dirt while Akira was kind enough to not hurt Renard's reputation by saying that he got demolished by an Aggron during a mission. At the end of the week, on Friday morning, guild master Caesar assembled all guild members in the battle arena.

"Attention everyone. As always, we have a sparring session today. But only two pokemon will battle each other today while the others learn by watching and take notes."

I hope it is not going to be me. Ryo thought

"Brendan, will you come over here please." Said guild master Caesar.

"Yes sir." Said Brendan.

"Brendan, I noticed that you have been training really hard this week and you have done three A rank missions. Your skill improvement is exceptional, so you will be the best candidate to fight the unbeatable fighter Akira. In addition, your typing, which is Fire/Fighting, will give you a huge advantage against him." Said guild master Caesar.

"So, you want me to battle Akira in front of everyone?" asked Brendan.

"Yes. As for you Akira, I'm going to test your skill by picking the toughest opponent possible for you. And I have one rule for you, Akira: No Aura Sphere. On paper, the fight seems highly uneven but that is the purpose of today's sparring session, to teach everyone how to win an unfair battle." Said guild master Caesar.

"Okay Sir..." said Akira.

"Other Pokemon please pay attention. This battle will be epic and very educative. Get ready... BEGIN!" commanded guild master Caesar.

In the beginning, neither Akira nor Brendan were attacking. The were sizing each other up. Other guild members watched excitedly and nervously, except for Ryo. He seemed calm, as if he already knew the outcome of the battle. Ryo knew his big brother so well. Akira was really smart, though not as smart as Ryo. Even though the battle was very unfair for Akira, Ryo somehow intuitively knew that his big brother would come out victorious.

After a minute or two, Brendan became impatient and decided to attack first. Brendan used fire punch but Akira could easily read the attack. He dodged it. After that, the Blaziken decided to attack again, this time with blaze kick. Again, Akira dodged it. Brendan then used close combat, but Akira used protect. Akira blocked every punch and kicks that Brendan threw at him.

"Brendan! Stop using standard attacks! They are too predictable! Use the unorthodox!" said guild master Caesar.

Upon hearing that, Brendan decided to do a series of blaze kicks by turning upside down and doing a head spin while igniting his feet. Akira was a bit surprised at the innovation that Brendan did, nevertheless he was quick enough to dodge the blaze kicks.

Damn, Akira was using his superior agility to dodge my attacks! Using moves drains me both physically and mentally. At this rate, I will become too exhausted to continue the battle.... Wait! Now I know! That is his strategy! He kept dodging and dodging to wear me out. Once I run out of energy, he will attack. That's it. Very simple yet effective. If I pretend to be tired, he will attack and I can use that opening to finish him using my flamethrower. Brendan thought.

After that Brendan tried to deceive Akira by pretending to look exhausted. Brendan panted and faltered, as if he was about to fall over. Akira responded by using the move swords dance.

Yes! My strategy works! He is about to attack me with physical attacks! Now all I have to do is to maintain a safe distance and wait for an opening. If I fight using ranged attacks, there will be no problems. Brendan thought.