Are You Ashamed of Me? (Clay)

Prompt: you want to meet Clay's mother but Clay is worried. You are both 24 years old.
—————————————-

"Are you ashamed of me, Clay; is that it?" You ask your boyfriend.

Clay shakes his head, "no baby I'm not, I just know how my mother is." He explains, "baby I want this to work out between us more than anything else in the world, you have to believe me!" He almost begs.

You shake your head and wipe at your eyes, "Clay I want to believe you, but until your okay with introducing me out on the streets of the city as your girlfriend, and introducing me to your mother, I just can't!" You try to explain before turning away from him and walking out from under the umbrella toward your apartment building.

You didn't care that the rain was soaking you and leaving you wet and cold. You know what you had said, but you still thought Clay would run after you, maybe fight for you, but he did neither.

But Clay had decided not to run after you for a reason. He knew you needed time to cool off and to think. Your boyfriend of a year walked in the other direction back to his own apartment, not knowing you had wanted him to rush after you.

A few days later you get a knock at your door and you look through the peephole and saw Clay. You unlocked and opened your door, "hi!" Clay greeted with a soft smile

You look at him confused, "hhhiii!" You drawl out wondering what he was doing here. "What are you doing here, Clay?" You ask crossing your arms and leaning against the doorframe.

He answered, "I thought about what you said and you were right!" He admitted, "I'm not ashamed of you and I should want the world to know that I'm in love with you, and if my mom has a problem with you then that's not your problem it's hers!" He says and you can't help but smile. "My mom invited me to dinner tonight and I would really wish for you to be there?" He said and you cup his cheek and kiss him.

"I would love nothing more!" You respond before pulling him by his tie into your apartment and locked the door.

——time skip——

"Do you think I look okay?" You question Clay as you walk up to his mother's house. Clay had called beforehand and informed his mother that he would be bringing someone important to him to dinner tonight.

Clay turned at the steps and faces you, he moved a lock of hair from your face and smiled. "Okay? Hardly begins to do it justice, beautiful." He compliments and your nerves diminished in seconds. Clay turned around and knocked on the door. He held your hand and squeezed it in comfort and you looked up once the door opened.

"Come on in you two!" She greets and you take a deep breath and Clay waits for you to enter before he goes in after you.

"Mom, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend,
(y/n) (l/n)!" Clay introduces you and you hold out your hand to the woman.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you Mrs. Beresford, Clay speaks quite highly of you!" You say, attempting to make a good first impression.

"Yet I know very little about you, dear!" She says before taking your outstretched hand. "But do come into the dining room and we shall rectify that at once!" She says and Clay gives you a thumbs up once his mother's back was turned.

Once you were settled at the dining table Clay sat next to you and Mrs. Beresford sat across from the both of you. "So (y/n) what do you do for a living?" Clay's mother asks.

Clay finds your hand under the table and takes it in his before you answer. "I'm a physical therapist, that is actually how I met Clay; helping him with his physical therapy after his surgery!" You explain and Mrs. Beresford nods with a smile.

As dinner progressed you learned more and more about Clay's family and she learned much about you. "Excuse me, Mrs. Beresford, where is your restroom?" You ask.

"It's down the hall and the first door on the right, and please just call me, Lilith (y/n) there's no need for formality!" She informs you and you nod and smile excusing yourself from the table.

Clay watched as you left before turning and facing his mother. "Well what do you think of her?" He questions.

His mother only smiles, "I find her very sweet and genuine and that is a rare combination." She tells him making him smile, "she also makes you happy. I don't think I've seen you smile that much in years!" She tells her son. "She's good for you, I can tell."

Clay let out a sigh of relief, happy to have his mother's approval. He didn't need it, he would be with you anyways even without it, but he always felt like he was doing something right when he had it. She was sometimes a very hard woman to please; which is a trait he found in both his mother but also you. You were both stubborn as a bull but he loved you both very much for it.

"I'm back!" You announced to the two and returned to your seat next to Clay. After dinner Lilith offered you a tour of the house and you happily accepted, wanting to know where Clay had grown up.

—time skip—

"Last but not least, Clay's bedroom!" Lilith announces pushing open the door to his bedroom. You could tell instantly that this had been a teenage boy's bedroom.

It was clattered with knickknacks of many varieties. It was clean that much was certain, but it was more likely to do with his mother who cleaned up herself or had someone else clean it up. There was a desk to one side of the room which had a desktop computer on top of it. A closet with a dartboard on the door, and then the bed which was a blue shade that reminded you vaguely of Clay's eyes.

Lilith had left you and Clay knowing her son could lead you back to the main part of the house by himself.

Aw is this you?" You ask going inside and picking up a picture frame from his nightstand.

"Yeah I was maybe 10 or 12 in that picture, cute right?" He asks and you smile and nod.

"Very!" You answer before setting the photo down. "Your mother seems to like me!" You admit and he nods.

"She does. What's not to like?" He asked coming up behind you and hugging you. "Your the first girlfriend she has liked and that's a big deal." He tells you. You turn in his arms and he looks down at you.

"Just as long as I'm the last!" You whisper and he smirks and leans down and kisses you.

"That's a guarantee, beautiful!" He whispers against your lips.