Chapter 14: Close Calls

Evan's POV:

My breath hitched. I didn't dare look around the corner to see what Toonz was doing. All I could do was rely on my hearing, so I sat there frozen and listened for any commotion. I was too much of a pussy to move, the slightest of sounds could put me in deep shit.

"Did you hear that?" An unfamiliar voice growled out. I started to shake slightly, this bitch sounded mad. It seems that someone hasn't got laid in a long time...

Footsteps broke the tense silence that had overcome us after the question. I quickly stood up and booked it, not caring if Toonz was behind me or not.

"Hey fucker!" The voice-- who I assumed was Luke-- yelled out. Making my way up the stairs, I looked behind me. Toonz was standing at the foot of the stairs trying to comprehend what was going on.

I guess my mask triggered something in his brain because as soon as he got a good look at it, he came barreling up the stairs with a furious face.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," I muttered, almost tripping over my shoes as I exited the apartment. Slamming the door shut, I quickly made my way to the elevator. I smashed the button, waiting for the electronic sign above the elevator to tell me that it was coming up. It never did.

A memory quickly flashed before my eyes: 'Out of Order' was plastered across the elevator doors on the first floor.

Shit, I almost forgot the elevator broke down. Making my way to the stairwell, I heard a door furiously slam open. My head snapped in the direction of the sound, Jonathan's apartment door was wide open and Toonz was now running over to me.

Once again shutting the door on him, I sped down the staircase. My heavy breathing and footsteps were the only sounds in the stairwell. Ignoring the door slam open and Toonz angrily yell profanities at me as he ran down the steps, I continued my journey down the four flights of stairs.

I could see the first floor door in my line of sig--

Bam!

My face slammed into the concrete floor right in front of the door. I had tripped over my shoelace that had recently come undone. Before I could fully get up, my body slammed into the concrete wall beside the door, knocking the breath out of me.

"What the fuck are you doing here?!" Toonz questioned, his face was right in front of mine. We were so close I could see the sweat beads drip down his face.

Instead of answering him, I gathered all my strength and punched him right in the jaw. A satisfying crack echoed throughout the stairwell. His head snapped to the side, giving me the opportunity to push him away and run out the stairwell.

I ran into the lobby, frantically pushing past people. Tripping over a small child, I once again face planted the ground. Only this time, I rushed to get up and ran out of the apartment complex.

I jumped into my vehicle, not thinking twice about turning on the car and speeding down the street. I looked in my rear view mirror; Toonz was standing in the middle of the rode, bent over in exhaustion with one hand on his hurt jaw.

What confused and slightly terrified me was that he didn't try and come after me in another car. All he seemed to be doing was staring directly at my car and whispering to himself.

Turning a sharp right, I made my way to Craig's apartment in hopes to find out any information he'd hopefully learned.

Craig's POV:

I felt like I was in one of those horror movies; you know, the ones where the victims hid in a random closet only to met their demise once the serial killer dramatically opened the closet door. The only difference between right now and a typical cheesy horror film was that Toonz had no fucking clue that I was in his house, hiding in a closet.

I looked through the cracks of the closet door. I was conveniently locked up in one of those closet doors that had thin wooden slabs angled to where you could see out but no one could see in. So, with that advantage, I watched as Toonz came rushing past me. He had a frozen pack of peas pressed against his jaw and was whispering random numbers and letters to himself. He slammed the door to what I thought was his room shut.

I quieting slipped out of my hiding place and made my way back to the kitchen. Right as I was about to climb out of the kitchen window (the place I entered), rushed footsteps were heard coming down the stairway.

Seeing as I didn't have enough time to escape through the window, I quickly hid in the kitchen pantry. Unlike before, I was trapped inside a dark, cramped room with regular doors. I pressed my ear against the door, listening to Toonz rustle around the kitchen, talking amongst himself. No matter how hard I tried, I could hear what he was saying, only the buzz of a voice.

Suddenly everything went quiet, making my breath hitch. Did I accidentally make a sound and he was about to open the pantry door, knife in his hand, ready to murder me? I held my breath, waiting for either reassurance that he didn't hear me or waiting for my demise. Hearing the slam of the front door, I breathed out in relief.

I cracked the door open, hearing it creak loudly. I froze, still slightly paranoid that he was still here. After legitimately a minute of silence, I pushed the door fully open, examining my surroundings.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, only the freezer was slightly opened with a disheveled bag of peas carelessly thrown in it.

Leaving it how it was, I, instead of booking it out the window, climbed back up the stairs and stopped at Toonz's room.

Slowly, I reached for the doorknob, like they do in the movies, and turned it. Hearing the door click, I pushed it open. The lights were still on and in the corner of the room sat a computer shining bright. Curious, I walked up to the computer to see what information it had to offer. My eyes widened and my mouth basically dropped to the floor.

On the screen was Evan 'Vanoss' and all his information. This included his license plate number, which stuck out to me.

"H-2-0-1-V-A-N," I muttered to myself. It was the 'random' numbers and letters Toonz was reciting to himself. I guess he must of got a good look of Evan's license plate somehow. Slight worry grew in my chest for Evan's safety.

Not wanting to get myself stuck in another pickle, I rushed back down to the kitchen and slithered out the window like a ninja. Running back to my car, I started it up and drove off.

Passing by Toonz house, I had a full view of his backyard. Something caught my attention, it was Toonz walking out of that damn shed, but before I could get a good look at him, I already sped past the house.
-..-..-..-..-..-..-..-..-..-
A.N.~ Aye, so what do you think :D Hope you like it :) and what do you think is going to happen? Where's Brock? Is he located somewhere on the military base? I dunno. ;)