Chapter 21: The Wrong Guy

Evan's POV:

The room was filled with silence. We had just gotten back from the bay, and we were all exhausted; both mentally and physically.

We were all resting at Droidd's place. We, well most of us, were sitting on the couches in his living room. Droidd and 407, on the other hand, were sprawled out on the floor.

It was unsettling, the atmosphere that is. Like I said, it was silent but not the type of silence everyone enjoys. It was semi-awkward; no one had a clue of what to say to cheer everyone up. So, we just sat in the awkward silence.

"Let's watch the news," Nanners suggested, trying to start a conversation, but no one made a move to turn on the T.V.

With a sigh, I stretched for the remote control, which was on the coffee table a few feet away from me. Turning on the television, I tossed the remote control over to Nanners.

He surfed the channels, looking for the news. Once he found it, he tossed the control carelessly to the side and leaned back on the cushioned couch. A smirk was clearly visible on his face.

"What the fuck you thinking 'bout Nanners?" I questioned. He ignored me, his eyes focused on the news.

"He's fucking psycho," Ohm answered for him. "He likes to see his job 'well done'." With that, Nanners slapped Ohm on the back of the head.

"Shut up," Nanners jokingly demanded, a little smile planted on his face. Everyone let out a small chuckle at their antics, but it was just a small chuckle, not a loud heart-felt laugh like it should have been. Then again, it was difficult to laugh in a time like this.

"Breaking News!" The reporter lady blurted out, gaining everyone's attention. On the television screen was a blurred picture of a car set ablaze.

"Oh, here we go baby," Nanners muttered to himself, rubbing his hands together as if he was thinking of a devious plan.

What a psycho.

"A car has been found destroyed in the Grand Señora Desert," the lady continued. "Even though the driver's corpse was burned beyond recognition, it is confirmed who they are by dental examination."

"And? Let's see 'who' this guy is," Nanners mumbled getting impatient.

Like I said, what a psycho.

"The deceased family was contacted before this, and they'd preferred we keep their identity a secret," the reporter continued. "Although we can't give out their real name, the family has allowed us to an old nickname. We all hope that you keep him in your prayers tonight..."

"Can we all have a moment in silence for the beloved son, SoCloseToToast?" A picture of the deceased showed up on the upper right corner of the T.V.

My mouth went agape as it slowly faded into dead silence.

"What the actual fuck?!" Craig was the first to shout. His eyes filled with rage.

The man on the screen wasn't our intended target, but the man on the screen was the one we killed.

"I-Is that not Luke?" Nanners asked, confused. "Like, is SoCloseToToast not Luke?"

"No," Craig answered. "Oh, no, no, no, no, no!" His anger was now turned into worry. He stood up, and was pacing the room with his hands locked in his hair.

"We killed the wrong guy, and now we don't even know where the actual guy is!" Craig cried out. He was basically pulling his hair out.

"Jonathan..." I whispered, realization finally hitting me. My eyes widened as wide as saucers.

"What?" Craig asked, unable to hear my whispering.

"J-Jonathan!" I exclaimed louder. "He-He is probably with Jonathan right now!"

Craig stopped in his tracks, his hands fell to his waist. Realization was slowly flooding into his eyes. He looked straight at me, his mouth open a tiny bit.

"Oh no."

"Alright ladies," a strong voice boomed out, Droidd. "I'm sick on tired of things going to shit. You heard the man; he's probably with Jon. Everyone split off into groups of two; Nanners with Ohm, Vanoss with Mini and 407 with me."

"Vanoss?" I questioned. "Who's Vanoss?" Droidd stopped talking and looked me straight into the eye.

"That's your last name, isn't it?" He asked.

"Well, now it is."

"Well then, from now on, I'm calling you Vanoss. It's safer than Evan."

I nodded my head.

"Anyways, Ohm, Nanners; you'll be securing Jonathan's apartment complex from the ground. Mini, Vanoss; You'll infiltrate the apartment. Make sure you're armed. 407 and I will be up on the rooftops with snipers."

We all nodded, waiting to see if there were any more orders.

"Our way of communicating yesterday night was whack. So, I called up one of my friends and he hit me up with some Bluetooth like headsets. All you have to do is hold down a button on the device and everyone can hear you talk, alright?"

Droidd got up and exited the room, only to come back moments later with a fancy briefcase in his hand. He kneeled down by the coffee table, setting the briefcase down. He motioned for us to huddled around the coffee table.

I scooted over to the middle of the sofa, everyone following my actions.

The snapping of the briefcase filled the room and Droidd opened the case, revealing multiple earpieces with emblems on them.

The first earpiece had a cartoon face of a Hispanic man with a mustache; Droidd's.

The second had a robot shooting red lasers out of it's eyes; 407's?

The third had the British flag; obviously Craig's.

The fourth had the Greek symbol for Ohm; which was obviously Ohm's.

The fifth had a cat on it; Seananners.

The sixth had an owl's head on it; mine.

The thing was, there were only six people and seven earpieces. I looked at the seventh one, and my heart skipped a beat.

The seventh had a little replica of a hockey mask, a hockey mask that looked all too familiar.

"That one's for Jonathan. Once everything is okay and Toonz is dead, he'll be with us again," Droidd commented, noticing my surprised look.

A phone dinged, and Craig's head snapped to his pocket. He pulled out his phone and his eyes went wide. Curious, I looked over his shoulders.

'Help me, I'm scared.' The phone read; it was a text. I looked at the sender and my heart stopped.

It big bold letters it read: Jonathan.

By now everyone was looked at Craig's phone, and everyone's eyes were wide with worry.

"It's time to go," Droidd exclaimed, shoving his earpiece in. "We're not going to fuck up this time. Remember the plan and don't forget, Use. The. Code names."

-..-..-..-..-..-..-..-..-..-
A.N.~ Kind of short chapter, I know, but it wasn't really supposed to be action packed so there wasn't much I could do with it. xD

Hope you guys enjoy!

Oh! And by the way, sorry for the lack of H2OVanoss, it'll come, I promise. ;P