Stranger in a Strange Land

⚠️TW: SA⚠️

   It has been 13 days. 13 days in this empty mirrored world. I only stare at those reflected realities, waiting for some mirror allow me to pass to the next reality... But for those 13 days, I have been staying in this world that looks like the inside of a diamond with many universes reflected on its faces... It's cold and monotonous, like the surface of a lake... I'm tired of floating in this diamond...
   I have been all by myself, alone. This solitue is killing me right now, I just want to feel something, good nor bad, I haven't felt human for a while...
   I hit on a mirror, I look at it and see written on it with shiny letters: " Earth-7928." I put my hand over the mirror and focus my energy on it. Then the mirror surface turns into a liquid texture, almost like a metallic puddle where my reflection is distorted by its waves and turvy surface. My hand passes through the mirror like it is water, I pass my whole body through it, crawling out the mirror into that new world beyond the mirror.
   I end up in a dark and dirty alley, it's cold, the rain is pouring in thin and light waterdrops, and with the horrible smell of trash entering in my nostrils, it's almost suffocating. I look behind me and see the mirror I crowled out. It's dirty and broken on the ground with a few waterdrops over it, reflecting the weak light that comes from the road.
   It's really quiet there, not even the cars break the silence. Then I hear the sound of something between the trashcans, I feel the shiver down my spine. I turn and go close where the sound is coming, and a back cat with one light eye appears out of the darkness. I sigh in relief. It's just a cat... I kneel down, stand my hand to the cat with a sweet gaze, I try to show I won't hurt it...
   It comes closer to me, hesitating a little, but it comes closer, sniffing my long and rough fingers... I smile and caress behind its ears softly. It slowly closes its eyes and starts purring... This really makes my heart soft and warm up a little...
   I get the cat in my arms, holding it and caressing its back and admire this animal: The feline has a shiny long black fur, and the light reflects beautifully on it, but it's kinda oiled and smelly. Its eye are shining in the dark like a lantern, but where was supposed to be the other eye, it's just flash, skin, and a bit of fur.
   I smile a little and look at the animal. I can't see a stray cat that I want to adopt it.
   - Your name will be Meowy! - I hold the cat up to the level of my eyes, smiling.
   I don't want Meowy to suffer while I'm here. I may not stay here for a long time, but I'll treat this cat the way it deserves.
   - So... - I say, walking out the alley with the cat in my arms - Earth-7928, right..? Let's see what waits for me here...
   I walk out of that alley, looking around the road... This is much more beyond my imagination than I expected... It's... much more futuristic than I expected...
   I know that cellphones are really something beyond my notions of high-technology, but this... This is beyond everything I imagined... The horseless carriages fly like metallic fat birds, and the propagandas pop from the rest of the grayish building with vibrant movements and tones... The edifications are tall and grayish, and the windows look like thousands of square mirrors fixed on the constructions. They are so big that seam to scratch the clouds and the starless black night sky...
   I walk down the street, holding Meowy in my arms like it was my most precious treasure, feeling the rain pouring in my face, looking to those square and gray buildings... These constructions are fascinating but have no personality at all... what a boring city...
   After some time walking in that futuristic, lonely, and silent road, I see on the other side a guy pining a woman on a wall by her neck and she scrams in despair for help, I immediately get disgusted and shocked...
   I have to do something about it, I just can't sit there and watch someone being violated like that, so I run across the road as fast as I can, put Meowy on the ground and kick the guy's rib. He screams in pain, falling on his side a little and letting the woman's neck go. She seams more relief but is scared... I can understand her...
I look at the guy with hate and disgust.
   He's a whole ass creep! I kick his crotch area before he could react, he screams so loud that it hurts my ears, but I don't hesitate to punch his face, I hold him by collar of his shirt and punch him with all my strength, slowly making his face look like an ugly ball of meat full of bruises and blood.
   I punch him until he passes out, I let go of his collar, letting him fall on the ground like a fruit. I adjust my posture and look to the woman. She is shorter than me, has light skin, and has short black hair with lighter tips. Her eyes are small, petal-shaped, and black, but she seems she's about to cry.
   - Are you ok? - I ask gently, trying not to scare her more - I'm here to help... can you tell me what happened?
   - N-no... - she responds, holding back her tears - I-I was coming back home a-and... t-this creep...
   - It's ok... - I put one hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort her - It wasn't your fault, and I'm here to help you with what you need, ok? - I look into her watery eyes, she nods - good...
   I look to the unconscious guy on the ground, then back to the girl, and ask:
   - Will you report this to the police or something..?
   - Yes... - she responds, a little better toned then before, she gets what seems like a plastic dice out of her pocket, some kind of spectrum comes out of that weird dice, she taps on that spectrum - The cops will arrive in a few minutes... - she tries to wipe away the tears.
   - If you don't mind... - I ask, trying to make her calmer by distracting her of her trauma - what day is today?
   - It's... - she looks at the spectrum - August 23th...
   - What year..? - I ask, nervous.
   - It's 2099... - she looks at me curious - why..?
   - Well... - I look to around trying to make a convincing lie - I'm not from this city, and where I come from, we are in a different year because we have a different calendar, you know? - I smile, trying to make it more convincing.
   - I see... - she answers, I fell relief - where do you come from?
   - France... - I try to make up another excuse - it's a very isolated region in the countryside...
   - I understand... - she says, I'm so much more relaxed right now - I'm Xina Kwan, by the way, and you are..?
   - Selene Dubois - I extend my hand to her to shake, and she shakes it.
   - Thank you so much, Selene - Kwan smiles, she seams quite better now, a trauma like this is hard to cope, but with someone willing to help, it's much easier - what can I do to thank you?
   - Well, can you buy me a cake? - I ask, today is kinda of my birthday, and I want to eat something good.
   - A cake..? - Xina raises an eyebrow - if that is what you want... but why do you wanna a cake?
   - Just buy me the cake, it will be enough - I respond, I look back to Meowy, it was just staring at this situation this whe time.
The cat comes closer to my legs, rubbing its body against my legs... The feline purrs... I smile, my heart feels warmer... I look back to Xina. She's still taping in that spectrum, but after some time, the spectrum disappears, and she puts that weird dice back in her pocket. Then she looks up to me and asks:
   - Can I buy you a small cake?
   - Sure..! - I respond.
   - I know a convenience store nearby, I'll buy your cake there... - she says, smiling and walking down the road, I follow her, looking around that strange world while Meowy follows me. The rain pouring on us gives me a little cold sensation as the waterdrops fall on my face...
   We walk until a small convenience store, its inside light lights up the street like a big lantern. We walk inside it, the door opens itself, it's almost like magic... I stand by the entrance, looking around while Kwan buys the cake.
   The store has kinda cold light, just like the temperature, the packaging of the products is something else... It's extremely fascinating... Kwan buys the cake, it's smaller, the size of a CD, it's in a transparent plastic box and it has some strawberries on top.
   - Here... - Xina gives me the cake, smiling - I hope you enjoy it, it's the minimum I could do to thank you...
   - Thanks... - I get the cake - I just did what I thought was right... Wanna me to accompany you home?
   - Oh, sure..! - she responds - thank you so much, Selene...
   - You're welcome, Kwan... - I smile - let's go then..!
   She walks out of the store, I follow her, walking behind her, and Meowy follows me through the dark night. We walk for a while until we reach an apartment building, Kwan reaches the entrance of the building and says:
   - Thank you so much, Selene... I hope you enjoy the cake, these one are super sweet - she chuckles.
   - You're welcome..! - I respond, smiling and chuckling - I trust your judgment, Kwan... I hope you can cope with what happened... I suggest you try to get some help.
   - I will... - she says, opening the entrance door - see ya...
   - See ya... - I respond, walking away down the road with the cat... The vibe changed so quickly...